What type of media slot is this exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marshall5

Baseband Member
I currently use a Belkin Pre-N wireless laptop card in my Hp ZX5000's side slot, which is also the slot my Sony GC-83 3-G card uses. I was always under the assumption that I was using a compact flash slot/device, until the other day that is...

When my buddy purchased a new Hp desktop with all the media ports/slots on the front, and seeing a large slot saying CF, I assumed this was the same type of port my laptop uses, until I put my Belkin Pre-N card up to his slot and realized it (the slot)was a bit smaller than the card. I was really confused. Well I just told him he needed the internal card adapter which allows for cards such as the Belkin to be used, but I'm still confused...what type of media slot is this my laptop uses?

After using the Belkin Pre-N (which is proven to be the fastest of the 802.11N devices) wireless around the home, I tend to consider 802.11G a thing of the past. It makes the wireless G look like dial-up as compared to a cable connection.

Anyways, it sort of bursted my bubble when I found out this wasn't a CF card slot, because I had intended on buying and using another Pre-N card in conjunction with an Hp Hx4705 PDA when I saw it had a CF slot. Is it possible at all to get another Pre-N card to work with the Hp PDA which has a standard (?) CF slot? If not, I'm not even going to buy the PDA, because my sole intention was a fast connection outdoors without carrying the heavy laptop around.

So back to the original question, just what kind of media slot type is this Pre-N card? Are there any adapters which could link the card to the PDA via a USB cable?

I appreciate any support guys.

Thanks.

PCMCIA, thankyou!

I knew I had heard of that acronym used somewhere before for a device, I never really knew what it truely was though.

I also already found an adapter I would need, although I'd have to carry a larger battery with the PDA as the PCMCIA card uses a bit more power.

Hopefully everything will work out nicely in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom