What is this thing good for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry151

Beta member
I have a LinkSys Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps WiFi Card. I have no clue what it does, what it's for, or what I can use it for. Could someone either give me or direct me to an explanation of the uses of a wifi card and how good or bad mine is?

It's your Wireless-G notebook adapter (PC Card adapter). It will let your notebook connect to networks. It's a good thing for you.

Why do you ask anyway?

I'm hoping to make some sort of use of it, but I didn't know what to use it for. Could it possibly connect my PC to my laptop, and share files or printers?

Yes you can, providing that you have a wireless router, you can set it up to share files and printers. First you need to make a network on the desktop computer, and then edit the sharing properties of the objects that you should like to share over the network, and then voila! you can share you stuff.

you don't necessarily need a router if you are only connecting from one computer to another, just another wireless card in the computer that doesn't already have one

but that means that the computer which the printer is connected to has to be turned on in order to print from the other computer

Ah, all right... I might buy a second one for the desktop, then. In addition to sharing files and printers, could I connect to the internet on my laptop with the dial-up connection on my desktop by using the wireless card?

For desktop, you will need either a USB or PCI Wireless Network Adaptor NOT a PC (also called PCMCIA) card. PC card is for notebooks. However, unless you are using older notebook, all the newer models which are Intel Centrino Mobile Technology based DO NOT need any wireless network adaptor becos it's already built-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom