What is the significance of WDS

aimo3

In Runtime
I was thinking that if APs don't support WDS, you cannot distribute them in a building and expect wireless devices (like laptops and printers) to use them flawlessly. But where I work sometimes, there are few of them and no problem was noticed before the below.

They bough a new HP wireless printer and placed it somewhere in the middle between the radiation of an Arouba WDS AP and an Aztech non-WDS. Both APs are radiating for a single SSID and security key. However sometimes the users cannot connect to the printer till they restart it.

When I checked it, nothing attracted my attention other than a message that the printer displayed stating that 2 APs were detected. The message is not displayed right in the beginning, but when you dig down in the settings.

The message made me think if the printer should not tell about how many APs are there in the first place. This is what reminded me about the concept of WDS, and made me think it might be the reason behind the problem.

If I switch off Aztech, the printer with take the signal from Arouba, but the laptop users who are closer to Aztech will suffer. There is another wireless printer which is close to Aztech as well. So I though of hearing from you guys first what you think.

Back
Top Bottom