What is a router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more thing...

A HUB's function has little to do with protocols... you could try connecting machines all day long through a HUB, but unless they're talkin the same language (protocol), you won't get very far...

Squirrelly1

I was not expecting that question like this will take 11 posts.
May be next month will see here that the routers have wings and fly in the space as well....

HUB = Computer A is searching for Computer C, but is asking B as
well.....

SWITCH = Computer A is searching Computer C and is not
asking Computer B ( this is where the name is coming
cose the switch is switching the connection directlly to PC "C" without asking PC "B")

And TA-DAAA:
ROUTER = When Computer A find that on the local net there is no computer "D", is asking Mister Router to find it.
Then mister Router find it and is hooking PC A and PC D together........

hubs operate at layer 1 of the OSI Model. They also forward all traffic to all ports.

switches usually operate at layer 2 of the OSI model (the exception would be a hybrid switch which operates at 2 and 3 ie Cisco Catalyst). They use MAC address tables to find a direct path to the destination which provides dedicated bandwidth. They break up collision domains.

routers usually operate at layer 3 of the osi model. They make routing decisions based on the packets information. They do not forward broadcast traffic and break up broadcast domains.

I just sumplified the question and you make it hard again!

Open System Interconnect (OSI)
Layer 2
- Is call "datalink"- Maps physical addresses to network addresses.
By the way Layer 2, have 2 subLayers - and this is Media Access Control (MAC) and Logical Link Control (LLC) .
MAC layer provides hardware addresses, and LLC is responsible for how NIC drivers operate.
So this layer is used by SWITCHES

Layer 3 name is "Network" - Provides for actual network addresses between two system. (IP run in this Layer)
This is for the Device with wich the topic start -ROUTERS

Layer 1 names is "Physical" - Send Receives bits of data -
So this is what use HUB "send this here, send that there"

----
Now please dont start with Cisco
or if YES Let's make new post:
"what is router? - Episod 2"
----

I was owndering how long it would take for someone to mention the OSI model....you guys were starting to worry me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom