What is the new network

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibb89

Solid State Member
I have been using my laptop on my home network for a while now but a few hours ago I noticed a new connection appearing and its a "UNSECURED COMPUTER TO COMPUTER NETWORK" see screenshot - its the top one.
Can some one tell me what this is and if so would I be able to connect to it LOL

The screenshot shows this, its the top one

Re:

Hello,

It is most probably one of your neghbour's PC nearby, with a wireless adaptor. Stupid neighbour really!!!

If you can connect to it, then you can :D .

Ok..I have just scanned my network again I have just noticed
another network that has no security on it. LOL
When I connect to it it says limited or no connectivity, is their any way I can get round this.
Thanks

gibb89 said:
Ok..I have just scanned my network again I have just noticed
another network that has no security on it. LOL
When I connect to it it says limited or no connectivity, is their any way I can get round this.
Thanks

Do you have an IP? I am guessing not since their's MAC filters on it.

EDIT: It's a PC not a router or AP though, hrm odd they wouldnt use mac filtering usually.

so you are trying to hack into that persons computeR?
ERRR NOPE

Do you have an IP? I am guessing not since their's MAC filters on it.
Yeah when I connected I was assigned an IP

If they are using a mac filter could I just change my MAC address to theirs using a program such as SMAC?
If I was to connect to this network could I get caught?

You need to pay for SMAC. If you do pay for it and you use the demo, you will only be able to change the MAC to something like 0C-0C-0C-0C-0C-0E. Also goodluck trying to connect to a network that has MAC filtering when you dont even know the MAC's that are allowed to access the network.

And your question about asking if it is illegal? It varies state to state. It really depends on your jurisdiction. But if you are malicious while you access the network you will most likey get in trouble. IF they catch you.

But in some case these wide-open networks are called "honeypots", people attract other people to connect to their network, and when you connect, you computer will most likey get screwed. Multiple malicious scripts are ran against your computer.

Here is a little video about wireless networks
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=wifi

That unsecured computer-to-computer network is also is an ad-hoc network. The only way i have gotten those to work was by setting static IP addresses. I haven't found a way for my pc to give my laptop an IP.

mestizo122 said:
That unsecured computer-to-computer network is also is an ad-hoc network. The only way i have gotten those to work was by setting static IP addresses. I haven't found a way for my pc to give my laptop an IP.

you would need to connect a dhcp server on the network.

Well, you're connecting to someone else's network, and it's computer - to - computer, right? So that means that you're now able to see what they've shared. After that, you may possibly be able to connect to the internet through their computer, POSSIBLY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom