what does SP2 do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invilink

Baseband Member
my friends installed Service Pack 2 on his computer and had apparently disrupted his internet access on the Network. does anyone know if that was just a once off thing or does service pack 2 actually do something to the connection?

Invilink,

Sp2 seems to bring several problems before/while/after installation.The fact is that you should always read the manuals/what to do's from the mircosoft site regarding sp2 before installation. There are several tips mentioned in the site as what to do, what not to do, what things will be supported, what not...etc . If you just go around installing like anyother software,there is less probablity that sp2 will work and infact ruin your present working configuration.

I hope I didn't scare you :p , just follow the basic instructions and you ll be fine running sp2 ;)

Sign
Codes:)

of course SP2 "does something" to your internet connection. it comes with a whole new "security center" with an improved firewall... depending on your connection, the firewall's settings can be responsible for your loss of connection.
In general SP2 makes surfing the web (more) secure. Besides the security center SP2 also updates your internet explorer to cut down on active contents which distribute trojans/viruses/spyware/browser hijacks.
Personally I deactivated the firewall straight away because I don't need it... but I guess for the average user it's good enough to "force" them to use it. I consider SP2 the first "good" microsoft update since Windows 98 second edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom