What does the connected at xx kbps means ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

genxingcapsule

Solid State Member
hi

what does the connected at xx kbps means when we dial into the dialup isp eg connected at 52 kbps ? or 31kbps ? does it means that this is a restriction imposed upon us that we cant go above this speed ? or is it a random ? or as we are sometime downloading a file from internet the speed is not always constant it changes so does the connected at xx bps also means that when the connection was established the speed was this at this particular time? ok i have seen that when i am connected at 52 kbps and at 30kpbs i have also noted that at 52 i have great speed and at 30 i cant go above 3.5 kbps while downloading file ? while at 52 i can even download at 7 kpbs ? now at the moment i am connected at 31 and my downloades are not going beyod 3.4 or 3.5 ? ok i am having this problem on the same connections same phoneline same time ?? any idea ? now i would disconnect and reconnect hope i woould get some higher connect speed and would have some downloading at hi speed as well ?? oki am asking this question because i am very confused i have also "rarely" if not "hardly" noticed no difference wheter i connect at 52 or 31 or anyting else ? but most of the time it is? so pleae tell me what is the mystery behind this "connected at "
Waiting for ur response

Thanks in Advance.

The main difference is in the nomemclature. What I mena by that is your connection says that you are connected a 30 kbps, that is kilobits per second. When you look at your download speed it is 3.5 KBps, that is kilobytes per second. There are 8 bits in a byte. If you multiply your download speed by eight then you should see your connection speed, or a number very close to it.

oh my God !!!!! please dont go into bits and bytes i am not confused to bits bytes nibble etccccc... i was in a hurry so i thought bits or bytes wont matter but i think it has done the trouble by taking the direction of our discusion smewhre else ... ok please say i am conected at 30 KBps and 50 or 48 or etc KBps.. so please eliminate any bits and consider all bytes ...

Well you see you cant just consider everything bytes because your connection speed is measured in kilobits and the download speed is measured in kilobytes.
You are getting the proper download speed for your connection speed
Everything is fine, be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom