What do you guys think of this high speed service (vs. Dial up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikoman69

Daemon Poster
I live out in the "woods" still, and right now im on dial up. This is the only high speed service available to me, and i just wanted you opinions on it.
Banyan Services -Broadband Internet
Its transmitted off a nearby radio tower, which is clearly visible, less then a mile from my house. Im pretty sure ill get a good signal. I emailed them, and they said the ping is 50-75ms, which isnt bad for gaming. Also, what do you think of the price for the speed?

Ouch that is nasty. $35 for 384KB/s Down?? I pay $40 for 4Mb/s down. Those prices are jacked. You can get NetZero for $10 a month. IMO that is much better. While it is not optimal for gaming or downloads or anything like that much better than these jacked up prices.

To spend $60 for 768KB/s down is crazy. I get that as a upload speed with my 4Mb/s down on $40 a month. To me it is not worth it. While it stinks being out in the "country" where not much is available this is way overpriced.

If its between dialup and that, get it. Sure, you can get services like $40 for 4Mb/s down, but if theyre not available in your area... well, you see what Im getting at. Once you switch to hispeed, youll never want to go back.

no doubt internet is going to be more expensive outside of large cities, I had fixed wireless and it is slower than sat ( I had aswell), the fixed wireless is way better stable, ping will be more than 70ms, try like around 200 - 400 average. I mean now I have a very stable connection dsl line at 3Mb/s Down / 368 up for 25 bucks, no contracts either. 768 is not bad with the options that u have, ISDN which is like 128 is around 40 bucks.

I know it will be more expensive but i dont call that high speed. That is just barely higher than dial up. That doesnt even beat DSL speeds which go thru the phones lines. That is what shocks me.

But if you realy have to have it yeah go for it. But that is bad when DSL which uses the current phone lines gets faster speeds than that "high speed" does...

When you live in the woods you have to take what you can get. Dial up SUCKS, end of story. And if you'll get a good ping, then it'll definately beat satellite.

no doubt internet is going to be more expensive outside of large cities, I had fixed wireless and it is slower than sat ( I had aswell), the fixed wireless is way better stable, ping will be more than 70ms, try like around 200 - 400 average. I mean now I have a very stable connection dsl line at 3Mb/s Down / 368 up for 25 bucks, no contracts either. 768 is not bad with the options that u have, ISDN which is like 128 is around 40 bucks.

"Fixed Wireless" your referring to is what this is? Where a reciever antenna is installed on your roof and it gets signal from a nearby radiotower?

But that is bad when DSL which uses the current phone lines gets faster speeds than that "high speed" does...
Again, its a matter of location. If I could get DSL here, Id get it in a heartbeat, and Im sure its the same for the OP... My phone lines are 70+ years old. We've changed pairs four times in the past year (2007) because we would get too much static, or lose our line altogether. That, and we're too far from any switching station. Its just a matter of availability more than value, imo.

If Dialup is cheaper than Wireless, but wireless is faster (and those are the only two services), Id take wireless, as long as it wasnt outrageously priced, which again is relative to what is around you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom