What do I need to buy for my network setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uNsaiN

In Runtime
I will be buying a computer in December and need to setup a network between my new computer and the family computer. This is what I plan on doing:
When I buy my computer I will set it up in my room. The family PC is in a room down the hall from my room. I want to take the Cable modem I have and put it in my room and connect my PC directly to it with Cat-5 cables most likely. I want to connect the Family PC with Wireless.
What do I need to buy?
How much is this going to cost?
What products would you reccommend?
Thanks for the help.

Purchase a wireless gateway/router and place it in-between your PC and the cable modem. Then connect your PC to the wireless gateway/router via CAT5 and then purchase a wireless PCI card for the family computer.

For great performance, purchase this gateway/router: Linksys Wireless G Router which is about $30-$75 (on ebay)
and this PCI card: Linksys Wireless G PCI adapter which is about $30-$50 (on ebay)

Would I need to buy a Network Interface Card for the new PC?
Are RJ-45 Port and RJ-45 Switched Ports the same as a WAN port and Ethernet LAN ports?

The PCI card is the Network Interface Card that you are talking about......and yes...you would if you want to go wireless.

The RJ-45 ports are all that you will see on this gateway/router device. The WAN port is designated for the cable modem and the LAN ports are for you wired PCs.

I'm talking about having the Family PC wireless and the PC I buy and setup in my room connected to the router with CAT5. I know I need a wireless PCI Adapter for the family PC, but do I need a regular NIC for the computer connected with CAT5?

Oh....gotcha. I had full focus on the family PC. And I guess that I do a little assuming when people are building new computers that they will include a network adapter in their build.......just doesn't make sense not to nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom