What do I need...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcrobot

In Runtime
to set up my internet on my new PC? I use a PCI wireless adapter to connect to my cable modem. I'm going to be taking the card out of my old PC, and sticking it in my new PC. What all do I need to configure it (IP address etc.) and where do I find that info? (FYI, I'm going from 98SE to XP Home, if that changes anything...)

Thanks!

Make sure you have latest driver for your card. Thats it.
You will get an IP from your ISP automaticaly, unless you're paying extra for static IP.
Make sure that your Network Connection in XP is set up to receive IP dynamicaly.
You might need to powercycle your cable modem.

You should have to do nothing, but put the new card into your new PC and install the drivers for it. Now depending if you had some type of security setup you will have to set that up on your new PC. When you setup your current connection did you simply hit "connect" when the wireless network was detected? Or did you have to take additional steps?

Win2kpatcher said:
You should have to do nothing, but put the new card into your new PC and install the drivers for it. Now depending if you had some type of security setup you will have to set that up on your new PC. When you setup your current connection did you simply hit "connect" when the wireless network was detected? Or did you have to take additional steps?
It's been a while, but all I remember doing was sticking in he card, and installing drivers and software. And then I was connected. Hopefully that will be the case here as well. I just wasn't sure if the XP setup needed any info about the network... it sounds like I'll be fine without.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom