What could be causing this wireless connection problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siena1383

Baseband Member
Problem in brief: The wireless signal shows as excellent, but my browser can't reach a website.

Browser: MS IE 6.0, SP3
Wireless: USB plug-in

I arrived at an extended stay place late this (Friday) afternoon. My wireless adapter (or receiver, whatever it's called) is new and was working fine at a hotel yesterday and this morning.

The extended stay place has cable Internet through Comcast, but also wireless through another carrier. The cable modem is connected to a router. I was asked to provide a network key to connect to the wireless. I did, and it said Connected and showed 5 bars lit in green and a gold star, too. Hovertext over the wireless network icon shows excellent connection.

Yet, when I try to go anywhere using my browser, I get, "This page cannot be displayed." and the icon in the taskbar says "Cannot find server."

What, oh what, oh what is wrong?????? If the connection is fine, is it a permissions thing? But it's the same password or network key for all of these apartments, they tell me.

(When I disconnect the router and hook up to the modem with a cable, I am able to access the web, which I'm doing now. Trouble is, I have a desktop and am working on the floor because of where they have the modem connected. )

Make sure your laptop is set to "Obtain IP address automatically". ( Start/ control panel / Network connections / right click your lan connection, and left click properties / (under "this connection uses the following items" highligt "Internet Protocol" click properties / put a dot in the radio button beside "obtain IP address automatically".
maybe ?

Thanks, but it was already set to "Obtain IP address automatically."

Why would the LAN connection setting matter anyway? It wasn't using that connection. It was using a wireless connection.

By the way, now that I'm on the cable connection, my wireless connection isn't even listed in the Network Connections list. I didn't delete it. Maybe that's related to the problem? (But it was fine this morning!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom