What is cloud computing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fullback40

Beta member
Could someone describe this to me in their own words? Also I am interested in how a company would charge for such services.

To me "Cloud Computing" refers the task which you are familiar doing is synced online, so anything you do has a backup online. That way if anything happens, you always got a backup. Also, this gives you an advantage as you can open/edit/change/etc any files you choose from a variety of devices (once they as the support) and not only what you used to make it.

Cloud_applications.jpg

Source Wikipedia

If you watch the picture above, you would have a better idea of what I meant. Also this is just my opinions on it, hope someone can come along and correct me if I'm wrong anywhere and give better insight.

Cloud computing encompasses more than simply syncing things on-line. If "the cloud" was completely implemented, you would only need a "dumb terminal" type machine with little or no local storage. All apps and data would be stored on-line and your browser would essentially become your OS. As an example, take a look at Google Docs, the data, as well as the apps, is all kept on-line and everything is executed from within your browser.

There is goodness and badness to this way of doing things. If the developers update an app, the user won't need to download and install it, when they access the app in "the cloud" it will be the most current version. However, having all your data on-line can be problematic. What if you lose your connection to the cloud or simply don't have a connection where you're at, you won't be able to access your data.

Additionally, many people are concerned about the safety of their data when it is stored in the cloud where they can't personally safeguard it.

The cloud as it's marketed is nothing but a Trend that will die a death soon enough, what it is in reality is nice public term for distributed data for redundancy and content delivery.

“Cloud Computing is a model for enabling convenient, on-demand network-based access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources (e.g., networks, servers, storage, applications, and services) that can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or service provider interactions.

Saxon, the 'cloud' wont die, smart businesses are getting onto the cloud for usability, access and cost effectiveness. and slaymate, if it was such a security disaster waiting to happen, it would have happened by now. There are more than enough hackers out there to give it a go. Its more secure then your computer/lappy with some antivirus software or a companies server. These 'cloud' hosts spend 100,000's of bucks on security alone - if they get hacked once, thats the end of their integrity, you can imagian how much money the put on the table for this, there not going to be lax on security.

Cloud computing in simple terms is accessing data from a remote server. Its the same as having a server accept in a remote location and if anything, more secure.

slaymate, if it was such a security disaster waiting to happen, it would have happened by now.

It is happening now. Sony is being attacked repeatedly and a major defense company was recently hacked. So the bright idea is to get everyone to store all of their data and apps in a centralizied location??? How smart is that?

Slaymate,

I don't think two companies equate for the 100's of companies offering cloud computing.

I would still consider cloud to be more secure if only 2 large companies have had major attacks out of the posibility of ...how many?

Sonys data wasn't even encrypted, its up to the user/company to do the required research to ensure their data isn't being compromised by something so simple.

Could someone describe this to me in their own words? Also I am interested in how a company would charge for such services.
Cloud Computing is the offloading of a Task that you need performed to another Computer.

An example of a "pre-performed Task" is when you make a request to Google to return the result for a search that Google has already made, that is not "Cloud Computing" but may be easier to understand.

An example of requesting a "Task to be performed" is when you "Submit an URL" to Google and ask it to index a Website, that is also not "Cloud Computing".

Online Backup may be as close as you get to a Cloud but without an element of "Computing" then it is not "Cloud Computing". Uploading a Video to YouTube and having them transcode and serve it for you would be "Cloud Computing" IF you actually wanted your Video transcoded (many do not and you have little or no control over the decisions regarding the transcoding (or Serving)) thus that too falls out of the Category.

Cloud Computing is the sharing of Processors and Resources of many other (unknown to you) Computers under the command of your Computer, think of it as "the other Computer give you Cores and Hard Drives to use".

One example of "Cloud Computing" might be the way Corba works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corba you control what is to be done (but usually also where it is done, thus not so "cloudy").

An example of "Inverse Cloud Computing" is F@H http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F@H where you (and many others) are the Cloud, they tell you what they want you to do (and know who you are) but you don't necessarily have to do it, thus also not very "cloudy").

P2P could be "Cloud Computing" IF you had more certainty of what was being done (no cheating) and had a better idea of when it would be done (no slacking).

To be "Cloud Computing" you need a significant level of control over what is to be done with little or no control over where it is to be done, thus "Computing" (you control) on a "Cloud" (not "micro-managed" by you).

Exactly what a "Cloud" can offer (availability you would pay for) and exactly where your Data (and Instructions) go is 'up in the Air' (that is what a Cloud is) but you would hope to obtain the correct result (quickly) without having to purchase (or even knowing and understanding) all the Hardware necessary to obtain it.

There are many ways to charge a Fee for such Services. They might charge by the Byte transferred and by the time per Core used. They might simply charge a flat fee and offer a given level of Service (so many megabytes stored and transferred and so many hours online per month).

Here is one Place that offers such a Service: http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/ check their FAQ. That is not the only Place nor the only definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom