What is the best router to use when ComCast is our cable provider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi everyone!

I know next to nothing about setting up a router, so I am a newbie that really needs a lot of help. Here is our situation:

My mom and dad's router does not seem to be working. It will constantly go down several times every day and now it will remain down for hours at a time.

They told me they had the Comcast tech come out to check the Comcast cable modem and the ComCast tech told them the cable model is fine.

Well, here is what I have found so far:

The ComCast Cable Model is model: Arris TM402P/110. All the lights show solid continuous green with the exception of the link light...and the link light blinks constantly. That is all I can tell you about the ComCast Cable Modem at this time.

The Router they are using is a NetGear WGR614. I think this is where the problem lies...

Can anyone help me with this?

I guess I have some questions....

1. What would be the best user friendly router to purchase and set up for my mom and dad considering they would like it to include the wireless feature and have the capacity to hard wire 4-5 computers/printers?

2. Where can I purchase such a router?

3. Is there some way I can test this NetGear WGR 614 to see if it is truly the evil culprit we all think it is before we invest in a new router?

4. Last, if the NetGear Router is truly the problem, what is the best way to blast it into a zillon pieces [we would like to take out our faulty computer hardware generated rage on some computer component instead of upon one another].

It's me, Cool, Calm, Kind, and Patient, Freddy [oh crap, my nose is growing again].

1. Linksys or DLink

2. Onine or in a store like Circuit City for Linksys.

3. Yes there should be a reset button on the router. Press ti for like 10 seconds and reset the router to factory settings. Then plug it back in. But make sure you use the correct method.

Unplug the modem, router turn off PC.
Plug in ROUTER first, then modem. Then turn on PC.

This will allow for the components to see each other and communicate.

4. If you really want to blast it into that many peices. A 20lb sledge hammer would do the trick.

1. Linksys or DLink

2. Onine or in a store like Circuit City for Linksys.

3. Yes there should be a reset button on the router. Press ti for like 10 seconds and reset the router to factory settings. Then plug it back in. But make sure you use the correct method.

Unplug the modem, router turn off PC.
Plug in ROUTER first, then modem. Then turn on PC.

This will allow for the components to see each other and communicate.

4. If you really want to blast it into that many peices. A 20lb sledge hammer would do the trick.

Mak,

Thanks again for your help and good advice. We appreciate you and all the hard work you do here!

Freddy

if your a total noob at it look into the belkin N vision routers they are totally automated ideal if you dont know what your doing, you guys get all the new toys first.... you always do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom