What am I doing wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cam

Beta member
I cannot get my 4 port belkin router to work properly! It's hooked up to a d-link adsl 300-t modem which works fine on it's own.

I've tried the following IP addresses:

Router: 192.168.2.2
Modem: 192.168.2.1 (tried alternating the two addresses)

Modem not DHCP, Router is DHCP.

The lights on the router indicate it's working correctly, as does the web based control panel - but access to the internet is non existant.

Is there a compatibilty problem between the router and modem? (not even the wizard works correctly)

Or is there something I'm missing? Before anyone asks I've double checked everything. Is there a certain way routers/modems need to be configured together, if so how?

I'm considering sending this back as all it's done is gave me stress. :( Back to the dumb hub...

There is a separte port on the router for the cable modem make sure it is plugged into that port. Also, use the ping command it is a good network troubleshooting command. See if you can ping the router from the PC. Then see if you can ping the modem. Then the internet. The router should be handing out dhcp to your client PC's you can verify this with the ipconfig /all command.

Thew port on your hub is labeled "Uplink".

Your router will handle the DHCP requests from each machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom