weird wireless problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshnx

Baseband Member
my bro n i have two laptops n he's sharing the internet through wireless...well i had my ip settings put to automatic n the net used to work fine but sometime or the other it used to jus stop ..ping also wudn get show any packets sent or recieved and if you use manual ips i.e setting the default gateway to 192.168.0.1 and setting a static ip for my own wireless it would show that its connected would ping only difference is that web pages nor msn wud not open while torrents would still download...since it used to happen alot i used to simply click system restore to when the automatic ip worked n then it would work again..but now for some reason system restore isn't fixing it ..the automatic ip sets the ip in the 169.254. blah category ..why doesn't it set to the 192...blah category? any help would be much appreciated why automatic or even manual doesn't work..thanks in advance and sorry for such a big written problem..

Well when you get a 169 ip address that means that you are not connecting to the router. With the downloads you are doing when was the last time you checked for viruses and spyware? Is your computer the only one with this problem? What happens when you hard wire into the router?

umm im not using a router im jus using ICS ..and also im not so sure if its a virus as im using bit defender plus avg 8 ..plus two spyware detectors..so i doubt it cud be that..seems more like a network problem ...and yes im the only one having this problem.

if you use manual ips i.e setting the default gateway to 192.168.0.1 and setting a static ip for my own wireless it would show that its connected would ping only difference is that web pages nor msn wud not open while torrents would still download

the automatic ip sets the ip in the 169.254. blah category ..why doesn't it set to the 192...blah category? any help would be much appreciated why automatic or even manual doesn't work..thanks in advance and sorry for such a big written problem..

if you set static ips, i'm guessing you left out the dns addresses. set these and web pages should connect

your pc will set a 169 address when it cant find the dhcp server and your pc is set to auto assign. you want to troubleshoot the network cards in this situation.

the dhcp server is the ics host

ok i set the dns to the default gateway ip i.e 169.254.0.1 and it WORKS!!! :) thanks alot but i still dont get why the automatic ip works for sometime and suddenly stops . as for why its not working now i don't know how it cant find the ics host when his ip is manually put to static ips even when its automatic and configured to a 169 ip it doesn't find it ...anyways thanks again

right click my computer, click manage

expand event viewer

click application, look for warnings and errors for recent timestamps

do the same for the system log

it can give clues as to what is causing problems

169.254.0.1 is address issued by windows when there is no DHCP server available.
check your router to enable the DHCP server, also make the router IP same as the IP/TCP network ID

umm again im not using router...ok ill gice the event viewer a try i doubt im gonna understand anything there though..lol hope it doesn look like those hjt logs

ok jus been to the event viewer under applications nothing much regarding tcp ip ..but in system, three were there
1>a warning for tcp ip -TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

2>and an error in some IPNATHLP(which talks about dhcp)-The DHCP allocator has detected a DHCP server with IP address 192.168.0.1 on the same network as the interface with IP address 192.168.0.3. The allocator has disabled itself on the interface in order to avoid confusing DHCP clients.

3>a dhcp error this time -Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 001F3C343C0E. The IP address being used is 169.254.84.245.

and another -The DHCP allocator has disabled itself on IP address 169.254.84.245, since the IP address is outside the 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 scope from which addresses are being allocated to DHCP clients. To enable the DHCP allocator on this IP address, please change the scope to include the IP address, or change the IP address to fall within the scope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom