jpal723

Solid State Member
Using:

1 tower (working fine)

1 laptop (cannot connect to internet)

1 Netgear router (WEP encrypted)

1 cable modem (Comcast)

McAfee Security 10

Here is the crux of the problem- My laptop can "see" the network and connect to it at 54.0 Mbps (Excellent) but when I try to connect to the internet, I get nothing.

I've tried running the laptop without any security, that did not work.

Dell was here today and replaced the wireless card- did not help.

Is it a setting issue? I have been at this for almost a week.

Please help.

One more thing- When I disable the WEP and leave the network unsecured, both the laptop and tower connect perfectly.

I would appreciate it if some of the senior members would add some comments or suggestions. Thank you.

Leave the wireless connection open,

Now open up a command prompt and type ipconfig /all and verify that you got an IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS. Take note of this information.

If you don't recieve any IP address from the router or your IP address is not what you expected and it gave you 169.254.X.X, please note that DHCP on the router must be enable to be able to recieve an IP automatically, you can try opening up command prompt and typing ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew

If you still can't recieve an IP, please download winsockxp, but backup your registry first before using it. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

Now perform the following steps below.

1) ping the loopback address 127.0.0.1

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 2 if not don't proceed yet.

2) ping your IP address

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 3 if not don't proceed yet.

3) ping the default gateway

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 4 if not don't proceed yet.

4) ping the DNS IP

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 5 if not don't proceed yet.

5) ping 64.233.161.147

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 6 if not don't proceed yet.

6) ping www.google.com

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 7 if not don't proceed yet.

7) open up a web browser and go to www.google.com

Does it work? If yes you have Internet, if not you have a firewall issue or wrong configuration in the web browser.

Tell me which step you are stuck at.

I have been using 192.168.1.X as an IP address. DNS server is 4.2.2.2.

ping 64.233.161.147 produced sent=4 received=0

how do I disable Windows firewall?

this is what my wireless icon tray looks like:

Status= Connected
Network= "Name"
Speed= 54.0 Mbps
Signal= Excellent

I have a strong feeling this problem involves a setting. I have been trying to fix it for days, now. Some settings may have been altered by me in the interim. Can you give a list of all the settings and their correct values?

I am using default IP 192.168.1.1

Thanks.

More info on this problem:

When I re-installed the Netgear WGR614, I can get on the net with both laptop and tower without enabling security. The problem arises when I secure the network. The tower will still connect, but the laptop shows "Limited or no connectivity" What should I try? McAfee an issue?

Again- My laptop stops when I secure my network.

You will have to enter the type of encryption and network key for the laptop in the wireless setting.

If you right click on the adapter and select Properties, then go to the Wireless Networks tab. In the preferred section you'll see your SSID, highlight it and click Properties, there you will have to enter WEP and the keys.

If you don't see the network there, just click add at the Perferred section and enter the SSID, encryption and the keys.

Which step in the ping process did you end up with no replies when you use WEP or when the connection is Open?

When you're use WEP, are you using the 64bit or the 128bit?

SSID is visable; for good measure I re-entered the WEP encryption.

The ping failed when attempting google.

The wireless icon in the tray says connected, but it does not "blink" as it should. What should my router setting be? I am using a Netgear WGR614v6.

When unsecured= all are perfect
Secured= laptop ceases to connect to internet

DNS problem, is 4.2.2.2 your primary DNS or secondary DNS when you do ipconfig /all? You might want to use a different DNS server beside 4.2.2.2, if your router handles this out through DHCP, then try configuring it to handle out something else like your ISP DNS or the router's IP address (192.168.0.1).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom