Weird problem I can't find a solution for (internet connectivity)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteis

Solid State Member
Hi, so recently our WRT400N router has been acting up (the 2.4ghz band no longer works properly) and so we bought a new one, the E2000. After installing it today I got an issue saying that the DNS server isn't responding. After trying several things, I decided to plug directly into the modem to see if its a router issue, and it wasn't. I had the same issue when I was plugged directly into the modem as well. After a couple of hours I got fed up and as a last hope attempted to re-connect the WRT400N, and I was connected! (Not wireless mind you since this router's wireless is messed up) I've never heard internet connections working when in a router, but not at all when plugged directly into a modem. Does anybody have any ideas on what could be causing this? I desperately wish to use wireless again but since this router is messed up it won't work, and without it I'm not connected at all.

It is likely the IP given to you is still register to the old router, try powering down the modem for about 30 sec. If that doesn't work plug the old router back in and go to the WAN configuration page on the router and release the IP. Then plug the new router in.

If none of the above works, call the ISP so they can clear it out.

Thank you so much everyone, Law's suggestion fixed it. The IP was indeed still registered to the old router. It still does not work directly to the modem (which is puzzling and driving me insane), but regardless, it works with the router so thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom