Weird network issues.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
Ok so, the past 2 weeks or so I've been having weird network issues that I just can't find. It comes and goes, but has only been the past 2 or 3 weeks.
Back information:
Time Warner cable modem/wifi (disabled) router Port 1 to WAN on
Linksys E4200 Bridge mode 2.4 and 5ghz WPA2 guest off WPS off
All Windows 7 Ultimate x64 computers + 98 box
GS2 Android Shostock custom kernel/rom/modem/unlocked
Samsung tab ICS stock
360 Slim
Wii

My problem is the damn wifi cuts out when everything has perfect signal. 2.4 or 5ghz, both perfect. Any wireless device at random times (not all at the same time mind you) will cut out for a split second. Just long enough to drop whatever you are doing and come right back. I figured it might be just interference but the thing is I am the only one in this area with a 5ghz router and my phone and her tab cuts out still. I then thought it might be because I put the router in our coat closet, but it worked perfect for about a week after I did that then started this nonsense.
I then decided maybe somebody is hacking me, but checked activity logs and nothing. Nobody on the client list or any MACs that appear to be spoofed. The router itself isn't cutting out because everything that is hard wired never has any problems.
The next weird thing is if I'm downloading anything on my server no matter what from, HTTP, FTP, DC++, Torrent, if I go to remote desktop the download cuts to like 30K/s then goes back up when I get out of remote desktop. BUT if I'm grabbing a local file (either way) it isn't effected so network performance is fine. I have done a virus scan on every computer and mobile device and we are all clean.

Any ideas or things to try?

You mentioned the router is still in the closet. Is there anything around the closet that could cause interference (i.e. some type of generator, a microwave, etc.)? If so, you want want to try running fiber or shielded cable to the router.

Nope, it's simply a coat closet near the front door. My server is in there too, but my router is always near my server. I took it out of the closet but no change. The coat closet is oddly in a central location compared to where the computers, Xbox, Wii, and phones go.

Google network stumbler install on your computer, then run it. It will show all 2g wireless and on what channel. You may have one near you that right now you can not see.

If there is another wireless on the same channel as you, change the channel.

Why are you not using the wireless in the cable modem?

Why are you running your linksys in bridge mode? It should be in access point mode with security.

Also, remember, most computers do not have 5g wireless ablity and the only things a 5g wireless access point is good for is to run a bridge system.

1: I have a ton of 2.4ghz wireless routers around me. We have lived here over 2 months and this is only a recent issue as I mentioned. Even happened before I put all my networking and server into the coat closet. My phone and her tab run 5ghz only and they cut out too.

2: No, my 2.4ghz is running channel 5 which has no other devices. I use Linux to scan the surrounding area with higher powered antennas.

3: Because it is wireless G and it sucks. Also, no point considering I have my Linksys E4200 with better range and is just better all around.

4: All security functions were set prior setting the WAN port to bridge (2.4 and 5ghz WPA2, WPS off, guest off, router security enabled as mentioned in OP). All it does is lets the modem router set DHCP to easily get around a subnet due to port forwarding. It just sees the Linksys as an extension rather. The client list is updated with real values in the modem router because of this making my job easier.

The only 2.4ghz wireless devices are the Wii and Xbox (I think the Slim is 2.4). The Wii hardly ever gets run and I have to use a cable on the Xbox lately due to this issue. I should mention, I can connect to my neighbors wireless underneath with no disconnection issues. Our phones and her tab are 5ghz though, and so we use it as there are no other 5ghz routers in my area. It worked flawlessly the first month we were here. I don't really get it.

Back
Top Bottom