Weird internet problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcclaud

Beta member
Hi everyone, I feel like I'm losing the will to live here.

Basically, something weird is happening to my internet connection. I tried downloading BT NetProtect and Java, but both said something was wrong with my internet connection.

This is the part where it begins to confuse me. The computer is connected to the internet. I went onto Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test, and this is where the weird part is.

For the first 2-3 seconds, the connection speed remain around 0.05 Mbps, then it suddenly shoots off to 6+ Mbps. I don't understand what is going on, and I've been having so many computer and gaming problems lately, this isn't helping me feel better.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mcclaud.

Have you/Can you test the speed connection on another computer?
Have you rebooted your modem and router?
You can try changing your DNS entries.
Call your ISP and have them run a diagnostics on the modem.

Almost sounds like some latency/SYN-ACK Handshake problem, especially since you're getting 6.0Mbps

Have you tried connecting directly to the Internet (no router) to eliminate that piece?

Of course, do 1 thing at a time and test.

For some reason, despite it's crazy actions, online games will still run, but I can't download Java or McAfee because it says there is either something wrong with my connection, or with the download server.

I've run a speed test on the computer I am using to write this up, and it's working fine. I just don't understand because they are both on the same network, so how can only one of them be affected?

I'll try the things you said.

Thanks.

The problem has been fixed with a Factory Settings reset. I believe a virus may have been responsible but because the internet wasn't fast enough, I couldn't get other online security. Besides, there was barely anything on the computer at the time, so nothing much was lost.

The reason why I believe a virus was responsible is because my version of Fallout 3 was crashing or freezing a lot at around the same time the internet slowed down.

This thread can now be closed.

Thanks,
Mcclaud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom