Web Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoMagic33

Baseband Member
I was wondering if I could run something past you guys regarding the setup of a web server for a project that I am conducting?

First of all, I have all the software needed to make my local university machine a web server (IIS).

I have a basic web site set up and I can access it locally on the university machine with the machine name or IP address. But have tired accessing from outside the local machine with no luck. I have read a few troubleshooting articles on the web and still no luck.

What I have done and tried.

I have added my web server and port number as an exception to Windows Firewall.

From outside the university network (at home) I cannot ping my university IP, however inside I can ping it. At the university computer I can ping my home IP address.

I have enabled/disable remote connections. And then re-tried. No luck.

Would it have something to do with the local university router?

Is there anything else I can try or do to see if it can be accessed outside the university?

Hope it makes sense to you as i'm hopeless at explaining things 

Many Thanks

Appreciate the help

In the router of your university, you should forward port 80 (tcp) to the IP-address of the server. The you can access the website by entering the university IP-address (from outside).

You can then buy a domain, or get a free domain (no-ip.com) and set it to point to your universities IP-address.

Ping can be disabled by the universities' router, so it does not mean that anything is blocked.

hi TheMajor

exact same thing is happening bud, its connecting to the no-ip.com domain inside the local machine but not outside.

any other ideas

No nothing will work unless im sitting using the server (university) machine. either my servers IP or No-IP DUC Client name. It will only work locally.

The IP address that No-IP DUC is using is the same as going to cmyip.com

One thing i have noticed is. it says updating to IP Internal: But all of the No-IP guides i have read say NAT/Proxy/Router and then the IP address.

Maybe it is updating to the internal IP. Do not use the client. Just login on the no-ip.com website and enter the universities' IP manually (A-record).

still no luck TheMajor

dont know whats going on, everything will work locally, but nothing remotely.

speaking of remotely, do i need to activate remote connections in my computer properties?

thanks

Except for firewall and router configurations, there's nothing you can do.

I don't know if you have full access to the router settings, if you don't, ask your system admin to make sure nothing is blocked, and port 80 is properly forwarded to the internal IP of the server machine. Maybe some firewall is running on the router. Maybe port 80 is blocked altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom