Web server

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Astroman

Baseband Member
Well, this is the 1rst time I wright on a forum... But anyway. Here's my question:

I've got 2 PCs (I'll call them A and B, A is the main one and B the one I want to convert into a web server), a 5 port Switch, an ADSL modem and an access point.

The A PC is plugged into the switch.
The B PC is plugged into the switch.
The Access Point is plugged into the switch.
The Modem is plugged into the switch.

Do you know if I need anything in particular? (I haven't set up PC B into the LAN)

Thank you very much!
You can reply on this forum :eek: :D :p ;)

Does your Switch or Modem have a built in router??

If not, you're going to need to pick one up. I don't use DSL, but what I've been hearing is that an ADSL modem w/ built in router seems to be cheaper than buying just a router.

What you're going to want to do is run the Modem to the Router, then the router to the switch. (If you get a router, most come with built in 4 port switches, so you might be able to bypass the switch).

Once you've got that done, and if your computer are configured correctly, you should be rearin to go!

your going to need a device to forward all http traffic to the webserver.

You can connect the modem directly to a pc, implement Internet Sharing, and setup a port forwarding software.
or
You can buy a soho router to replace your current switch and setup port forwarding on the router.

Ok. I have set up my web Server perfectly! But now, another question... Using any PC located in my network, i can access it... But how can you access it through the internet and what is it's URL...

the url should be the domain name that you have to register. You could also access it by entering your global (public) ip address.

To access it from the net, you must have one of the two setup described in my last post. This is needed because when a computer requests a page from your ip address, it needs to know which computer to contact on your internal (private) network.

Yes any router will do port forwarding, set tcp and udp to port 80

Basicaly:
set outside port to 80
set inside port to 80
and select both udp and tcp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom