Web pages only load sometimes. Usually just 404 error or missing images.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard596

In Runtime
I'm writing for a friend who is using SBC DSL. His internet connection is fine in that he can connect to MSN /AOL instant messenger services and download pop3 email, however when it comes to web browsing, many pages do not show up (404 page not found).

Sometimes refreshing the page over and over will eventually make it load, but even then images might be missing. It's very inconsistant because things only work sometimes. He is also now unable to connect to his web server via Front Page.

This problem is similar to what I've seen when the LSP chain is broken due to spyware, but I have checked using LSP-Fix and everything seems to be good. I have also flushed his DNS cache with ipconfig /flushdns - still nothing. I'm out of ideas. Thanks for any help.

My recommendation...

Rather than just flushing his DNS cache it may help to troubleshoot it.

use the nslookup command at a command prompt and type in various sites he's having a problem with

> www.google.com

and hit return. If the DNS process is functioning properly it should return the URL to you as well as various IP addresses depending on the site.

Another thing that may help is he connected directly to the DSL modem or using a router. If he's using a router, is that doing DNS forwarding for him? (i.e. his DNS server is configured to his routers address and it just passes on the DNS request to the proper servers. If this is the case, you may want to try changing his network setting on his computer to point to the DNS servers provided by SBC.

Also check his hosts file in \%SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\Etc to see if anything is out of place. Unless he's configured specific information in there, the file should be empty with the exception of localhost 127.0.0.1 If there are a bunch of other URLs and IPs in there, you may want to remove them. I've known some spyware to alter this.

Is he using a proxy server, or is his browser set to Auto Config. If he doesn't have to use either of those, please disable them.

Let me know if any of this helps.

Thanks for the reply.
DNS is functioning properly. Even when the problem starts.
He is not using a router. Just the DSL modem connected via RJ-45.
The host file is fine. No entires.
No proxy is in use and auto-config is disabled.

We used the internet for about 2 hours this evening and everything worked perfectly then suddenly some pages started not loading, or if they do load a lot of pictures don't show up (red X's)

...now just as I'm writing this, it's working again. It's totally random.

That's really all I can say about it right now. It just works for a few hours and then for no apparent reason it stops. Then after a bit it works again. No idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom