A Way to find the Culprit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numbers

Solid State Member
So I live in a frat house, and we have really nice internet. I get dl speeds of up to 2.5 megs/second when downloading from large dedicated servers (microsoft, google, etc).

However, this semester a bunch of new guys moved in (new initiates), and the internet suddenly started to suck sporadically. However, during the last month I've noticed that the internet almost always dies at around 8 PM, which leads me to believe that the lag is being caused by one or a couple of *******s who are torrenting without limiting their speeds. An example of this "lag" would be my ping on, say, a Counterstrike Source game suddenly shooting up from 20 to 700 and staying there for a minute or two, and then dropping, and then going up again, all night.

My question is: Is there any way to catch the jerks responsible for this? I think I heard somewhere that I should hook my laptop up to the router with an ethernet cable and do something, but I'm not sure how that works exactly.

Check out the logs in the router. You shouldn't need to hook your computer directly up to the router, just hitting the IP of it should be plenty good enough. Depending on the router, their should be logs of all the traffic within a given amount of time. Now, it will only show you the IP of the devices causing this, most likely. But you could go into the DHCP table and find the Name of the computers with the corresponding IP.

Hope that helped a little.

Check out the logs in the router. You shouldn't need to hook your computer directly up to the router, just hitting the IP of it should be plenty good enough. Depending on the router, their should be logs of all the traffic within a given amount of time. Now, it will only show you the IP of the devices causing this, most likely. But you could go into the DHCP table and find the Name of the computers with the corresponding IP.

Hope that helped a little.

It sort of did. I don't know the password of the router though. I heard that if you hook it up via ethernet you can bypass that or something similar.

How would I access the DHCP table?

Theres ways, but its hard not knowing your ability.

First thing you should do, and easiest to do, is remind everyone to limit d/ling speeds etc.

You can also use network monitoring tools to see whats going on, on your network, but thats more involved, and as its unknown about who owns the network, and if you have authority to do this, I'll let you find out about these.

Edit, No bypassing the password can not be done like that......

Also the logs wohn't be too much help if everyone is torrenting, as it'll just show a ton of connectins, and not the speed/bandwidth being used

Theres ways, but its hard not knowing your ability.

First thing you should do, and easiest to do, is remind everyone to limit d/ling speeds etc.

You can also use network monitoring tools to see whats going on, on your network, but thats more involved, and as its unknown about who owns the network, and if you have authority to do this, I'll let you find out about these.

Edit, No bypassing the password can not be done like that......

Also the logs wohn't be too much help if everyone is torrenting, as it'll just show a ton of connectins, and not the speed/bandwidth being used

Let's just assume that I know nothing about networking, but that I am fully capable of using a PC, and am a quick learner.

I have a general idea of how computers/software/programming works, but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom