Way to connect 3 laptops and printer without setting up workgroup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobkon

Baseband Member
Is there a way to connect three laptops to one printer without setting them up on a workgroup network? I simply cannot have any of the three laptops "see" each other. I have some ideas, but I wanted to ask here first to see what the correct way is to go about this. Thanks for the help!

connect the printer to one of the computers, and then share that printer. Write down the IP of the computer with the printer. Then, on the other computers, go to the add printer wizard and choose to add a network printer and type in the IP. You may have to open up some settings if you use any kind of firewall.

If it is a network printer you can. Just create a new TCP/IP port and install the printer by IP address. OR get a gadget like this: 8-Port Parallel Printer Sharing Device Switch, MP-801B-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com and connect them directly to the thing.

Getting that 8-Port Printer sharing box seems to be the best bet. Now, will that thing work with this printer?

Newegg.com - brother DCP series DCP-130C Up to 25 ppm Up to 1,200 x 6,000 dpi InkJet MFC / All-In-One Color Printer - Retail

If that 8-Port switch doesnt work, would I do this:

Connect printer via USB cable top one of the latops. Connect that same laptop to the wireless router with ethernet cable? Share the printer.
Connect 2 other laptops to wireless router.
Get IP address of computer connected to router via ethernet cable.
Connect to printer via IP address?

OR...could I just buy this gadget...Newegg.com - level one WPS-9122 11g Wireless Mini Printer Server with One USB 2.0 Port 802.11b / g, RJ45 1 x USB 2.0 Type A Port - Retail
and connect the printer to it...then just connect to the printer via IP address from each computer?

I hope thats right...and doable. Thanks again

Do I need anything else? Keep in mind that Im going into an empty room with nothing set up, and no network/internet available. so Im bringing everything to set up myself.

If I just bought a wireless printer server, how would my laptops connect to the printer without the laptops seeing each other? Wouldnt I need a wireless router set up as well? Where would I find the IP address and so my wireless laptops can connect? Does the wireless printer server work the same way a wireless router does when connecting other computer to it?

Sorry for the multiple questions! But also thanks for the help you guys have been giving me. I have experience with wireless routers and networks, but Ive never set up or used a printer server, so please excuse the lack of knowledge. Thanks again!

Ok well I went ahead and picked up a wireless printer server (D-Link DPS-1260) and a compatible printer for it (HP Deskjet D4160). I was able to set it up fine and print a test page, but this is all when the printer server was connected to my router.

The thing is, where this is all going to be permanently set up, there is no network. Does this wireless printer server NEED to have a network present in order to work? I know the D-Link has an IP address of its own, cant I just setup each laptop to print to that IP address?

This whole thing is confusing. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom