WAP or old router?

06Skywalker

In Runtime
Hi guys,

I have moved house and my virgin router is in the lounge downstairs, bedroom 2 up stairs is on the opposite side of the house and the wifi signal is weak, its a long Victorian style house.

i found this post How to Add a Second Router to an Existing Wireless (Wi-Fi) Network
explaing how to use an old router to extend a wifi signal, the old router has the same SSID and password and band as the main router so my mobile devices can use both freely, so it claims?

i have a few questions which i hope you guys can answer for me, will my wifi devices such as phone and laptop automatically connect to the strongest signal ( or will my wifi essentially be one signal??)

i thought having 2 signals on the same "band" would interfere with each other?

my pc is currently wired via Ethernet and a gigabit switch, i plan to plug my old router into this gigabit switch and follow the above direction.

can you guys see any problems with this? what are the advantages of using a WAP and not an old router?

thanks so much guys, sorry if my terminology isn't great im really back in the 80's where home networking is concerned!!

Last edited:
Having a second wireless extending the network is just repeating the same signal.
06Skywalker said:
i thought having 2 signals on the same "band" would interfere with each other?
They won't interfere with each other, BUT your devices can get confused if you're in the middle zone between the two. Sometimes, devices get messed up and try connecting to the previous router that gave it its IP address (so effectively, not switching to the strongest available).

i really dont understand the difference between purchasing a WAP or using an old router? could someone please explain?

Thanks people

When it comes to home use, there isn't much difference. The only real differences are that most WAPs are designed to be ceiling/wall mountable and that a WAP will never be able to function as a router.

Certain WAP models may come with some special features, but there isn't anything that you couldn't get from third party router firmware. A router's AP functionality is just a way of finding further use for an old router after you've upgraded. If you have an old router that you can convert into an AP then there's no need to buy an actual AP except in circumstances that require more than a home networking solution.

Back
Top Bottom