Wake-on-lan issues, XP Pro, Dell Dimension 2350..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure thing.
What I would like now is everything you have done so far with as much info as possiable.
If you could post up what IP's you have configured and your DNS settings along with a scrrenshot of what you have setup in the BIOS that would be great ;)

Cheers,

~ Tkey

K, well the screen shots will have to wait again after work :/
But I can remember as much as possible about what's done now. A lot of it is mentioned in my first post but there might be a little additional info I can think of:

-PC is a Dell Dimension 2350 w/ Windows XP Pro. Has integrated 10/100 Ethernet adapter that is not a PCI card. Motherboard is a 7W080.

-Again, in the Bios I turned on the only WOL option "Allow to wake from PCI devices."

-In the network adapter settings, in the Power Management tab, I turned on "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power." and "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby." In the Advanced tab, the only option related to WOL was "Wake Up Capabilities" which has the options of "Wake Up Frame", "Magic Frame", or "None". I changed it to "Magic Frame".

-I registered at Dyndns.org and entered my public IP and made a static hostname for it: "just4747.dyndns.org". I had originally done this to be able to use Serv-U to access my PCs files from anywhere (which works).

-I now have gone into my LAN settings under TCP/IP and changed the auto IP info to manual entry (to get a static private IP) and have entered:

IP Address: 192.168.1.100
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default GW: 192.168.1.1

And for "Use the following DNS server addresses" (I wasn't sure on this):

Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.1.1
Alternate DNS Server: 76.23.227.252

-For the router settings, I haven't touched much. The DHCP option is still enabled so that the internet works on all machines, but I think since I just entered the manual info for the LAN on my Desktop, the PC will keep the static .100 address.
I also have tried several port forwarding settings to make the WOL packets get through. Currently the only port I have forwarded pertaining to this is port 9 to the PC's new static private IP of 192.168.1.100 (UDP only).

That's all I can think of now. If there is another aspect I could've mentioned please let me know. I will still get screen shots later today to make it easier but that's pretty much everything to mention above. Thanks if you can help me!

EDIT: Here are the screen shots of everything but the Bios settings (How would I get a screen shot of that? Might have to use a real camera):

NetworkCard1.jpg

NetworkCard2.jpg

Router1.jpg

Router2.jpg

Router3.jpg

TCPIP1.jpg

Aye a print screen of the BIOS would help wonders here, since it's that that does all the work.
Sorry for the late response, i'v been tied up with the holiday season and all ;)
Cheers,

~ Tkey

Sure thing, here's actual pictures I just took...
Since the only option in there is to wake by PCI device (and not just WOL), maybe there does need to be the cable going from the network adapter to the supposed connector on the mobo like I've read for some PCs, except that my network card isn't in one of the 3 main PCI slots and I don't see a 3-pin connector on the board anywhere. I had linked to a pic of the mobo in a previous post if you wanna check it out. Thanks.

IMG_4139.jpg

IMG_4140.jpg

IMG_4141.jpg

IMG_4142.jpg

IMG_4143.jpg

Yes it's what I thought.
Looks like the system can only be woken via a PCI device. You say your network is onboard and not a PCI NIC ?

Tkey

Yes...I can take a pic actually, check back shortly, thanks!

I don't understand though, the network adap. is called "Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated controller" so it must be an onboard/non-PCI card at least right? Are you saying that the Bios only supports WOL over a PCI network card? This doesn't make sense, the only time (I've read about) that you can't have a network card do WOL is when it is a PCI. non-integrated one. AKA, as long as the Bios supports WOL at all and has an onboard network card, it should work. So why would there be a problem with mine? I mean this is how the system comes stock, so if WOL is there, the network adapter that was included should work with it shouldn't it?

NIC PICS:

IMG_4144.jpg

IMG_4145.jpg

IMG_4146.jpg

I'm not sure, i'm gonna make it my personal mission to get this sorted for you..

Tkey

Thanks man, I don't know what else you'll be able to figure out, but keep me posted :)
Can anyone else here give us a hand maybe??

Okay here's what i'v found.
I'm pretty much sure your adapter isn't PCI 2.2 compliant, and from what I can gather your board can only WOL from PCI 2.2 compliant NIC adapters.
This however dosn't suggest why your Broadcom adapter has the checkbox "allow to bring out of standby"....

Anyway, do you have another card we could try this with?

Tkey

EDIT: Also what apps are you using, so I can confrm that you are using the correct UDP port numbers in your firewall and service settings.
If you keep router logs also, post them up, i'd like to confirm that your magic packets are in fact reaching the router.

Tkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom