vpn (rras on 2k server), xp client to 2k host

Status
Not open for further replies.

office politics

It's all just 1s and 0s
My setup is as follows. My company has a T1 connection to the internet. We setup a 2k server with rras to accept vpn connections. When a user, who has cable internet, connects to our network via the vpn, they start PC Anywhere (PCA) 10.5. Our hosts inside the company used to be 98se pcs and our users were more or less happy with the connection. However, when we upgraded a users pc to 2k pro, she complains about slowness. I think this has to do with the app PCA because she describes the slowness as being that the screen refreshes are slow and inputting text is extremely slow. Or maybe it has to do with the speed of the connections, cable having 3mbs down/256kbs up and the T1 1.5mbs both ways. This user is also working on our network during regular business hours but since we are a small company, under 100 hosts, we never really experience a choke on our inet...unless something goes wrong, lol.

Is there any reason why migrating our hosts to 2kpro that would cause a major slowness?

I'm currently starting to test using tightvnc. Does anyone have any success stories with this app?

What is the speed of the machine...?
Slow machine + PCAnywhere = Slowness for sure

PCA is a network hog and it is very slow with W2k and XP...We use it at some of our sites that have decent p3 machines with 512mb ram and it is still pretty slow, even though we both use t1's...

these are fairly new pcs, 1 or 2ghz 512mb RAM 100mbs network internally.

I'm hoping that vnc will help me out but its going to take a few days to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom