VPN possible on same network ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcoxy

Beta member
Hi all,

You may ask why is he doing this lol but here goes. ..

I need to simulate a VPN for a project to show how they work but I will only have access to one network to do this. Does anyone know if it would be possible to have the VPN Server and client on the same network ? Maybe I could give them IPs on different subnets to achieve this ?

Thanks in advance !

Greg

Yes you can do this and I dont think that you even need to use different subnets. Just give them some statics IPs and try and connect them.

you prolly could setup a vpn in the same subnet but it's pointless cus the nodes could communicate directly. In the real world you would never setup a vpn for the same subnet....ever.

it would be best to setup two different subnets, setup the vpn server & client, and connect.

Thanks Guys. With regards to

The_Urge said:
Dont forget to enable the VPN passthrough on the router.

I have a Netgear RP614v2 and although the Netgear Site says it has VPN capability, The config page doesnt have any option to turn the VPN passthrough on :S Frankly the documentation is rubbish that Netgear provide so what do I do ? Can I just forward ports to the VPN Server ? If so which ones as Im aware VPN can use PPTP or L2TP IP SEC.

Thanks in advance !

Greg

Ok Thanks again.

I have succesfully set up VPN but now I want my PDA to dial in using bluetooth phone. I can get PDA connected to VPN using PPTN ok but how can I check that it can access local files ? I.E. do i refer to the VPN server that has the files I want to access by its internal network number of 192.168.0.2 ?

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom