VPN difficulties

Status
Not open for further replies.

npettit

Baseband Member
ok ive got a problem that has been comfusing me for the past 2 or 3 days and i want to see if anybody knows the answer.... my company owns a house that is not directly tied into our T1 line.... so the house gets to their docs and resources through a VPN... recently one of the computers will not talk to our VPN server. the computer in question is connected though a hub and then into a D-Link ethernet broadband router which is then connected to a cable modem. The catch is that every other computer is able to connect via VPN except for this one plus the comp in question can still connect to the internet no prob.... any help would be apreciated.... Thank you

Do you use the Windows VPN or another client such as Cisco? Does it try to authenticate? Can you ping the VPN server from that PC? Any firewall involved?

windows... it tries to authenticate... yes.... no all firewalls were disabled as a test and the same thing happened. I've also tried locating the computer somewhere else in the house but i still get the same problem. but when i bring it to the main office and set it up there (outside our intranet) and VPN in its fine

That is a head scratcher if it worked before and nothing changed and it quit. I am guessing you have done thorough scans for malware.

I think this might help you out:
[/quote]
Step Three: Hardware Firewalls

Generally broadband connections mean there is a Hardware Firewall. Hardware Firewalls are firewalls that are built into a Router or a Modem. Depending on the type of router and firewall these steps WILL vary.

1. Enter into your Router/Modem (usually 192.168.0.1 or a variant)
2. If there is a username/password look up the defualt username and password via google. That should get you in.
3. Find the "Advanced Options" or "Port Forwarding"
4. Once on "Port Forwarding," forward these ports: 1723 (both TCP/UDP) to the computer that has the Windows XP VPN Server installed (Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig /all)
5. Forward Port: 500 (both TCP/UDP) to the same IP Address.
6. Save this configuration. If your router/modem has to be restarted, do so and wait for the Router/Modem to com back up.
7. That should allow connections without tearing down your whole firewall.[/quote]

Source:
HowTo: Windows XP VPN Server Setup

If you are using RDT you need to forward port 3389 aswell as that is the port it runs on. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

the only problem i have with the firewall thing is that the computer upstairs accesses our VPN just fine. all of them can except for that one computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom