VPN access explanations please

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombigdaddy

Beta member
I set up a VPN in my office all working fine for my girlfriend to access the files from her flat. (as well as music and Films as she has no space on her HDD)
She connects no problem but then she says there's nothing she can do, as it disconnects her from her broadband connection. (she's no IT whizz, but I know I'm missing out on something).
I've been reading through all the definitions of VPN and none of them actually tell me in what way to use it. so I would like help with the following, please :(

- I'm guessing the internet problem means she wuold have to use the broadband connec here, by assigning her the right gateway in the IP address when she connects to the VPN ?

- What do I have to do for her to be able to access the Files/Music etc... when she connects ?

- Is there anyone that could run me through the basics, please, without goign into the tunneling process etc.. just for simlpe person like me. I do have certain understanding of Protocols/Networking...

btw: Music is legal, my own cds; All setting were done correctly, got the info from: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=64926

Thank you very much... I get quite a bit of moaning in my ears about it...

I use Nortel Networks VPN. We all go thru the same destination IP address. It Connects to the server, now I have a connection, Then I use Remote Desktop Connection and connect to my computer at work using my IP address, I use my IP address because my pc is never off the network so the address wont chance, if it did, I'd have to use the name of my pc. This could be your problem

Disable Keepalives Select this option to disable Keepalive packets. Keepalive packets maintain a connection during idle periods, keeping the connection to the network alive. When keepalives are disabled, the connection is shut down after an idle period that is specified by the system admin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom