Vnc question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gloomer

In Runtime
Ok. Let's say I install VNC on two machines, and take away their monitors.

It takes up less space, and I can still control them via VNC from my pc with a monitor.

The thing is. What if there is a change? I thought about doing this, but for some reason the internal ip of one of the machines changed!

If I go ahead with this plan, and chuck out the monitors, and find I can't connect to the pc without a monitor because the internal ip has changed, I'm screwed.

Is there anyway around this? Any suggestions?

Yea..a static IP

Even if the IP change, if you know the name of the computer you can ping it and it'll tell you the IP address.

ping tomscomputer

VNC will handle the new IP.

You can always connect using the computer name also.

yeah that's what I thought. I thought of using the computer name as well.

Nah. I'm not going to bother with a static IP.

Thanks for the help. It was an easy solution :)

Oh my.

I think I just google myself.

Edit: In this case, a KVM switch is deff the way to go. You'll waste zero system resources with virtually the same results.

You don't need Hamachi if the two computers are on the same LAN, there would be no point

superdave1984 said:
You're drooling over Shannon, admit it *L*

Hahaha... jealous dave?

Yeah for this case I'll just use VNC cause I don't feel like going out and buying stuff.

Static IP is really the way to go. Since it's inside your own network, I see no reason NOT to set it static.

Also, you wouldn't really be screwed... you *have* a monitor in the house that you *could* hook up to the computer to fix stuff on it if you needed to :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom