Vista LAN/Cable modem Connection Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbetenia1

In Runtime
I'm running vista 64 and when i hook my pc up to a cable modem with a cat5 cable, i can only get local access but no internet connection. the cable is in working condition, as it is currently working on my other pc (same modem, same cable). also, when i try to set up a new connection, my only available option is for a WAN PPPoE connection, but my ISP requires no username or password to access the internet, as it's going straight through my cable modem. i have no idea why i am limited to local access only, and why my only option to create a new connection is WAN PPPoE. any help or advice would by greatly appreciated. thanks.

My ethernet card is a Realtek rtl8168b.

Check for updated drivers from teh PC Manufacturers site. Sounds as if the Ethernet card adapters drivers are just the Default Windows ones and are not the correct ones for your card.

the driver is the realtek manufacturer's driver and not the window's default driver. the date of the driver is 9/17/07 which seems to be the current driver.

my internet provider came out to my house to fix this issue and ended up determining that the modem was bad. Im almost positive they just came up with a b/s solution bc when i used my friend's modem and cables to try to get my internet working on my computer, the same issue came up. When we plugged his computer into the modem it worked fine.... We both have the same internet provider and both use Vista. Can anyone help me out with this problem?

There is nothing we can do for you. You have already tried updated driver. Only other solution is to use a router or try older drivers. Other than that reinstall Vista.

Now is the driver you are using for Vista 64? That would be my first query. Not everyplace says that they are for 64 Bit. Could be you have a 32 Bit driver.

Try to reset the modem. IF they said it is a dead modem could be you got another dead one. But saying how your friends works and your doesnt makes me think.

Have you tried different cables? Have yoru frined bring over a laptop to your place and see if he can get connected. Could be that the line to your modem is damaged ro dead.

i am on my laptop right now which is plugged into my modem and it is working just fine. Im using the same cables and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom