Vista access: Local Only (sometimes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokernod

In Runtime
First off thanks for being here :D

I know this subject is in the search but Im having a slightly different problem. I did a search (google, yahoo, here, etc.) and I see alot on this problem but it all deals with people who cant connect to the internet. I can connect to the internet but after a while the computer drops it and (THEN) I have "Local Only". I can reset the connection (or the computer or the modem) and it goes back on. Its getting really irritating.

Compaq Presario CQ60-216DX notebook
Windows Vista Home Premium
Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter (when I loaded vista I had to go get the Wireless drivers from Compaq.....maybe this isnt the right adapter/driver???)

Im running DSL (Centurytel) through a Westel Modem E90-610014-06 REV-E into dual routers: SorensonVRS SR-SR200 hard wired for a video phone and then a Belkin N1 wireless router F5D8231-4 out of that, with the DCHP turned off.
Comodo Firewall (Windows FW disabled) next to Avast! AV.
I dont suspect the equipment for the simple reason that I run alot of computers here (4 desktops and sometimes 4 Laptops) and they all work fine with no connectivity problems. Anyone with wireless laptop can just come in and sit down and easily connect.

Thanks for any help......
:D

Have you tried another driver? Could be the NIC is going out on the laptop. Might be worth borrowing a PCI Wi-Fi card from someone to see if that card gives you the same effect.

Thanks for the response Lex.

(Im actually pretty sharp with computers but Ive never been able to grasp networking/internet conection, I cant even get my computers to see eachother)

DRIVERS:......Im actually a bit confused about the drivers, and maybe someone can help me with this. But.....the computer doesnt actually say what wireless device it has. I looked up the specs on HP/Compaq website and it doesnt say there either, it just says "802.11b/g WLAN". There are three drivers listed for this Com.

Select software and drivers 

1) The Intel PRO/Wireless Drivers for Microsoft Windows Vista

2) The Atheros Wireless LAN Driver

3) The Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver for Microsoft Windows Vista

Oh why are there choices, Im an idiot when it comes to this stuff....I dont want choices unless they have explanations as to why I might want to use them? Which one am I supposed to be using. Currently Im using the Atheros, and I eventually uninstalled the HP wireless assistant hoping that maybe it was interfering with something.....but it wasnt.

I have since discovered that it "seems" to be dropping the IP address, does this maybe give anyone an Idea of whats happening?
.....It takes about 3-5 mins for it to happen and then I can go to properties and click the option to get another IP and it starts right back up. Cant very well get anything done in this short time span, LOL.....:D

*SIGH* Just trying to keep my wits

Have you tried another driver? Could be the NIC is going out on the laptop. Might be worth borrowing a PCI Wi-Fi card from someone to see if that card gives you the same effect.

You may want to try what Lex mentioned here, it seems like a good idea to me.

Yea, I will try it if I can (diff wifi card), The thing is is this is a repair job (complete overhaul because of viruses), so replacing parts has to kind of be last resort. But yes if I find that it cant be fixed, I'll have to tell her she needs a new card.

as for checking things, and I know its a pain, but I need instructions (usually) on where I would find what you ask for. As I say, I suck at network/internet stuff, another reason this may just all be my dumb fault, just not quite understanding what to do, but I'll look around real fast and see if I can come up with that info.

EDIT/UPDATE: OK Great.....It wont let me "print screen" , thats going to limit things.

I see (if this is correct) there is an IPv4? and an IPv6. The IPv6 connectivity says "limited" in wireless properties while the IPv4 connectivity says "Internet".....of course I seem to have connection now.....
so on the BEFORE:
"Connection Details"

Link-local IPv6 address fe80::5002:6d6d:881e:691b%9

Phys Address 00-24-2B-16-2D-F3

IPv4 IP Address 192.168.2.7

IPv4 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

IPv4 Default Gateway, IPv4 DHCP Server, IPv4 DNS Server all say same: 192.168.2.1

IPv4Wins Server *Blank

IPv6 Default Gateway *Blank

IPv6 DNS Server *Blank

NetBios over Tcpip En..... Yes

And I note that it says the DHCP is Enabled, I thought I had disabled it (second router Belkin, see initial post).....

On the other hand, while typing this the internet signal hasnt went out.....this is the longest Ive seen it stay on......This is new, and I hate new

But I havent opened a Browser yet....not sure if that has anything to do with anything but Im mentioning it.....and Im opening Opera.........

So when I attempt to open a web page in opera I just get the white screen for a very long time and eventually the "could not locate remote server" message
I open firefox and I get the same
even though it clearly states that I have local and Internet access

Wonderful

everything works fine when hardwired

Im going to give you guys a bit to comment on this to see if something listed is wrong or can be fixed......if the wireless signal goes down again I will try to get you the rest of the info you asked for......then I will try switching drivers to see if that helps, Im still not completely sure this is the right driver.

another note.....once the laptop warms up it reaks of purfume, I wonder if its been spilled on it, I will ask if i ever get ahold of this woman

Thanks for the help guys, really!

Do this before the problem
Code:
ipconfig /all >before.txt

Then do this during the problem
Code:
ipconfig /all >after.txt

Then
Code:
explorer .

find the files in there and paste their contents (in [ code] [/ code] tags) into a post.

Thanks for helping kmote........Im am definitly out of my element now. I feel so small in this particular forum.

and I did finally figure out how to do a screen shot if that can help (snip?, ....ok)

If I understand correctly you want me to run IPconfig?

not sure what the all>before text... all>after text ......explorer stuff is

BTW (ive wondered this before) where is the run command in this vista home premium.....Im still an XP freak.....

(I know.....I'll switch soon I promise.)

Im really sorry guys.....and I really appreciate you guys sticking it out here with me

The /all is a switch (or option) in ipconfig that tells it to give more detail. Try ipconfig on it's own then try with the switch to see the difference.

> is a redirect. It tells the output from the program (ipconfig in this case) to go into the file (before.txt and after.txt in this case) instead of displaying it on the screen.

explorer is just windows explorer.

. (dot) means current directory. When you are on the command line you are "inside" a directory. The directory you are in can be changed with the command cd and viewed with the command pwd. When you open explorer you can optionally provide a directoy you want to start in. So when you do
Code:
explorer .
you are telling explorer to open in the current directory.

In vista you can get to the command prompt in a few ways. Hold the windows key and hit r to bring up the run dialogue then run cmd to open the command prompt. Alternatively you can hit the windows key to bring up your start menu and type cmd where it says "Start Search" then either select "cmd.exe" from the top of the list or just hit enter.

Sorry guys, I had to run out of town, Im going to hit the sack and hit this in the morning.

kmote, thanks a bunch for that explanation, completely easy to understand. I'll do it in the morning and have it to you......

Again guys, I really cant thank you enough for enduring this crap. Thats exactly why I come here.

ok....I did what you said kmote, but I didnt really get any kind of reaction from the Com when I typed the "ipconfig /all >before.txt" or the "ipconfig /all >after.txt" commands (not sure that I was supposed to) and also when I typed the explorer. command I got this:

003-1.jpg

something Im doing wrong?

BTW, I think Its ok to laugh at me now.....

as I was copying/pasting your text into my post (laziness aquired) I noticed that it looked as though there may be some spaces in there that I didnt notice so I went back into CMD and tried a few variations. On the third try I got this:

008.jpg

Im starting a work folder here for all the pics so anyone can check it out and see if they see anything that might be off:

workstuff pictures by Nod15 - Photobucket

I will start writing discriptions from here out to help yous guys (before wireless loss....after wireless loss, etc), the ones there now have none, just wasnt thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom