Vista (32bit) wireless driver problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

masteroc

In Runtime
Yesterday i bought a DIR-655 D Link Wireless N Xtreme router and a DWA-552 D Link Xtreme n desktop pci adapter card so that i could get wireless internet in my room at good enough speeds for gaming. I am using Vista Home Premium 32bit as my OS. Whenever i install ANY driver for this wireless card and try and connect to my home network, Vista freezes. No BSOD's, or errors, just plain freezes (cant move mouse or press keys or anything). I have tried: vista drivers on the cd, vista drivers from dlink's website, vista drivers from Atheros Communications website (chipset of the wireless card), and older xp/vista drivers from dlink. None of which work, all of them end up with vista freezing a few minutes after it says that my new hardware is installed and working, etc. Does anyone have a similar problem or a solution?

Thanks

Are you sure that the PCI card is Vista compatible? The Router isnt the problem. It is the drivers for the PCI Wireless card that is.

yes i know for a fact that it is vista compatible because it says it on the box and on dlink's website...and they wouldnt exaggerate about that.../sarcasm....
but in all seriousness it does say that it is vista compatible, whether they rushed the drivers out to fast and didnt work on them is another question.

D-Link DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter

The drivers should be right there. Created on 9/20/2007. So if they still dont work then you have 1 of 2 issues.

1. You have not set Vista up to work wirelessly
2. you have WEP or WPA enabled and Vista can not connect because of this.

Thank you for taking the time to look that up for me Makaveli213, but as i stated in my first post, i used those drivers...straight from dlinks website already and Vista still froze about a minute after install. It is true that i have WPA on my network for security, but vista just asks me for the password which i give it and then it says its connected. Should i take of WPA to see if that helps??

I would try it without the WPA. If anything you should contact DLink and tell them this issue. It could be a known issue or it could be something that is isolated to your system. Could be the drivers are conflicting with some other drivers or application you are specifically running.

DLink will have more knowledge about this as they created this stuff. We here can give you links to drivers but you say it has already frozen your stuff up. So there is nothing left but to contact them and see if they have a solution. Sorry.

ok, so i called Dlink and apparently the tech support line is not opperating or something. Either way, i called MS tech support and after spending over an hour trying to fix it, i was told that contacting Dlink was the only way to fix the problem. So i scavenged the internet and found a workable solution. I used some Xp atheros driver for a different card and that fixed my problem....so far....ive been on the internet for about 10 minutes without a crash, so im crossing my fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom