viruses, slow internet connection, freaking me out!!!!help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

geo3tech

In Runtime
okay.. here's the stuff that's been driving me nuts for about a week.

everytime i get on the internet, i get a freakin virus. sry for the language but i'm really that pissed. i have norton 2004 professional running and i have firewall on for windowXP. i get irc bugs, hacktools, blaster, etc.... it really sucks.

also my internet connection.. i have verizon online dsl with a westell 2100 modem. i have two comps. the new one that i bought a week ago is the comp that's having all these problems. My old comp works fine with the modem and is fast, right on target. Whenever i hook that ethernet cable in to the new computer it's like 30 kb/s and i can't play any games such as halo.

here's my comp stats.
old comp
amd 1.2 ghz
256 ram
40gb HD
Radeon 9600 128mb
have no idea wut motherboard it is because i bought a compaq

here's my new one that i custom built
athlon 64 2800+
Asus "K8V" motherboard
2X 512 OCZ rams
radeon 9800pro 256 mb.
160gb HD
and integrated LAN and Audio.

My New comp is way faster then my old comp whenever it's offline but when i connect it it's like 10 times slower and all that. Games work fine and smoothly in the old one but in the new one, it has like 3 sec delays and stuff that i can't really even aim at anyone in halo.

plz.. anyone help me??

ps.. all the drivers are updated for the motherboard all all of em. Contact verizon but they're F****** idiots, they don't know how to do anything.

again.. sry bout the language..

btw....
My internet connection and comp was fine when i was hooked up to a router at my friend's house who had a westell 2200 and a wireless lynksis modem.

THat's why i'm so confused. does it mean it's the modem that's causing me this or a virus?

sounds to me like a heavy duty spyware problem.. have you had any results with adaware or spybot S&D?

Don't forget to check for that stupid "MySearchBar" that sucker is the biggest spyware distributor out there. Even if you use Ad-aware or Spybot S&D, if you don't uninstall the MySearchBar, it will all just get re-installed.!

As it's an ethernet connection try and see whether you get any improvement by setting the connection type/speed yourself, ie. 100 Mbit full duplex, instead of having it on auto-negotiation.

different manufacturers nic products don't always play nicely with auto-negotiation.

thx guys for the advice

i downloaded spybot s&D and adaware and searched for spybots. i got about 5 and that did it !!! :)

now it's fast now and it all working fine. but i still didn't get the irc trojan so i'm downloading the cleaner right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom