Virtual network configuring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathias

Baseband Member
Hi.

By "virtual network" I neither mean virtual private network (VPN) or VNC (virtual network computing)

For practicing reasons, I'm wondering, if it's somehow possible to create a virtual network, so that you can configure virtual routers and switches (a shell like Cisco IOS is preferable, but a GUI would do it as well.) , and let yours pc's/servers connect to those.

I know packet tracer, and I know that it allows me to setup a "server", but there aren't many configuration options, as if I had an inbuild Windows 2003 server for instance.

So, what I'm looking for, is a mix between VirtualBox (or VirtualPC, VMWare whatever.) and Packet tracer.

I would like to practice configuring some different server roles + I would like to keep it as realistic as possible. That's why a such application would be essential.

Does it exist?
If not, does anything similar exist?

Thanks in advance!

That applications looks similar to PacketTracer.

What I was looking for, was a way to connect my virtual servers, to some kind of virtual network, where I'd be able to configure routing, vlans etc.

The reason why I'm not using physical network equipement, is that I don't really have any..
Remember; Cisco equipement is quite expensive!

If the virtual network is not a possibility, would it be possible to put IOS (or something similar) on my Linksys W54G router?

So what's wrong with PacketTracer? You can do all that there. Do you want a program which supports non-cisco equipment?

As I said. You don't have much server configuration options in Packet Tracer. What you can do, is to setup a server without an operating system, assign it an IP adress, and test the connectivity from and to the server.

It doesn't enable me to setup neither Microsoft Exchange or a webserver, which I'm planning to play with.

I know this whole thing is a long shot, but I thought someone would know some good software for that.

It doesn't enable me to setup neither Microsoft Exchange or a webserver, which I'm planning to play with.

I have used Microsoft IIS (Internet Information Server) - which is web server software, on which you can then install Microsoft Exchange Server. Also your virtual server software. I have done this in class, and it works like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom