Viewing/Shutting down specific applications/processes through network. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 08:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Question Viewing/Shutting down specific applications/processes through network.

Greetings all,

A small question.

I can connect to another computer through telnet, I'm not so good in the commands though...

Is there I can view all running processes on that specific computer I'm connected to?

And how (if possible) can I disable/shutdown/exit any specific process which I don't want to be running without effecting anything else.

Just as if I'm ending the process through the task manager.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

Default Re: Viewing/Shutting down specific applications/processes through network.

It's tasklist and taskkill. It's in the \windows\system32 as tasklist.exe and taskkill.exe for Windows XP Pro and I assume 2003 server. You can copy these file to XP Home because Home doesn't have them to the same directory.

2000 Pro has tlist.exe and kill.exe, which you have to get from the CD-ROM support tools or download from here Must-Have Utilities and put it in the winnt\system32 folder.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: Viewing/Shutting down specific applications/processes through network.

Whenever I'm connected to the other computer through telnet, and when I try tasklist I don't even get the list of running processes...

It just takes me back to a new line..

Any idea why ?
Or any other ways?
Old 06-10-2007, 04:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

You might not have permission to do so. What Windows OS is the remote machine?

Old 06-11-2007, 02:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Windows XP Pro on both
Old 06-11-2007, 03:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Update: I checked the must have utilities link you posted..

I downloaded the tlist/kill and copied them to the system32 folder on the remote computer and it seems to do the job well! So thanks a lot !
Old 06-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PolishPaul Send a message via Yahoo to PolishPaul

You may also find psexec useful. It allows you to run commands over a network on another computer. You can run commands like net stop <service>. Check out http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...es/psexec.mspx