Very strange wireless problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genb50

Beta member
Ok I just brought a Belkin N router off my friend after having a very frustrating time setting it up yesterday spending about 6 hours on the phone with my internet provider and Belkin techsupport weve pretty much come to an ends at what to do so thoaught you guys could probably help me.

Well I have two compaq laptops both running Vista one that I want to be connected to the internet wired and one I wish to be connected wirelessly. I set up my router connected it to the Laptop and my modem and it says it is connected to the internet I can browse the internet on my psp however I cannont connect either computer wirelessly. the other problem I have is the computer that I want to be connected by ethernet does not pick up the routers IP. The laptop knows the modem is there and says it is working but I cant get to the routers IP so I can change the settings its supposed to be 192.168.2.1 but it is using my modems IP still 192.168.1.1 I have tried changing this manually with Belkin and my internet provider but it did not work. The laptop I want to connect wirelessly can connect to the net through ethernet so I know the modem works but I dont want that laptop connected through ethernet I want it to be wired

Sorry if this is confusing ive never been good at explaining things but I could really use some help.

Are the tcp/ip setting for the wireless card set to obtain ip automatically or is it set to a static ip?

Obtain IP automatically.
although I have tried setting the IP manually but it didnt work

Just to check as I was a bit confused.

You have the modem wired into the wan port on the router.

Does the modem act as a dhcp server as well?

Modem is wired to wan port in router yes
should it not be?

I believe the modem acts as the dhcp server as i can only access the ip for the modem 192.168.1.1 on the laptop as for some reason it will not recognise the ip of the router 192.168.2.1

Managed to get both laptops working wirelessly and accessed ip address 192.168.2.1 via wireless but when I plug it into the router I cant access it
one laptop will not connect if plugged in through ethernet port but other will i think it may be a problem with the laptops drivers but I am not sure how to fix this.

Again sorry if this is kind of confusing and thanks for the help so far =D

Since the modem is acting as a dhcp server, you should turn off dhcp on the router. change the ip of the router to something in the 192,168,1,x range that will not confilict with any other ip addresses. something like 192.168.1.50

The other method would be to have the modem act as a bridge and let the router do the dhcp for you.
Either way modems that act as routers make me upset.

Unplugged my modem and its working!!!!
All computers are connecting wirelessly and connected via ethernet thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom