Very strange internet problem between 4:30 to 11:30 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachZach

Solid State Member
Every single day between 4:30 PM and 11:30 PM my internet shoots up in ping and slows in speed, I've been monitoring it lately and its EVERY day at 4:30 till 11:30 PM, here's an example of what happens.

Using a bandwidth/MSmonitor every day even on weekends this is how it goes.

30 MS...
35 MS...
30 MS...

back and forth like that, then once 4:30 hits...

35 MS...
45 MS...
109 MS...
235 MS...
stops at 390 MS...

Once 11:30 PM hits it goes down in reverse order.

This happens every single day for every computer, I've called my ISP (fairpoint communications) and they put me on hold and eventually hang up on me, I've called about other problems and they've had no problems talking to me about them, but whenever i call them about this problem they always seem to just hang up on me, I've tried about 6 different routers and modems now, switched around a lot of the settings in my router settings and NOTHING seems to work.

If anyone could give me an idea on what might be causing this or how to fix this that would be great, I've tried for little over a year right now to fix this problem with no luck, and even now as i write this it seems to only be getting worse, now once it hits a little over 400 MS/PING the internet goes out all together and i have to reset everything! SOS, SOS! any ideas?

Thanks again for looking into this.

It's peak traffic time. You must be on a shared bandwidth connection.

This is what i thought, i just didn't want to believe it...blah...can anyone recommend a good ISP for gaming that's NOT a shared bandwidth connection?

I think the AT&T DSL isn't. It's what I'm using, I never see my ping go above 30. And they have speeds up to like 24Mbps, which is nice :)

AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet

You might not be able to see that page.. If you can't, just go to att.com and go to DSL & Internet, then go to "Internet" and go to "AT&T U-Verse High Speed Internet" for the plans.

I don't believe any DSL connection is shared. However, to get the same average speed as cable (assuming that's what you have), you'll probably pay more.

DSL is not shared. If you have cable, it seems like sound logic that you are indeed suffering from many users getting on the web during those times. The best you could do would be to switch ISP's, or see if your cable provider offers some sort of faster internet package. Keep in mind, Quality of Service, they can arrange for your packets to be priority.

Yep yeppers i found the problem, i have the standard package, and that's only 3 MBs AND its shared, luckly for 40 bucks a month they offer a premium package with up to 7 MBs of my own, thanks a lot everyone, I'm going to sign up for the premium and see if it fixes the problem, thanks again folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom