Status
Not open for further replies.

killux

Baseband Member
I never really understood this. Why is always your default

IP always 192.168.1.100 you
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1

And can anyone give me a short and to the point definition of a subnet mask and gateway, and the what the heck even an ip? I would also appreciate any links to networking basics tutorials.

The reason that the default address is in 192.168.1.1 is because it is a PRIVATE IP address. This means that it isn't routable on the internet. If an ISP's router, it will drop the packet if it has a destination IP address that is considered a PRIVATE address. the whole 10.0.0.0 and 192.0.0.0 networks are private. These are the most common

Comparitivly, there are PUBLIC addresses, which are accessable to the internet...

I am actually in the process of writing a 'Networking 101' thread to make sticky in this forum. It won't be done for a little bit, cause personal life has been pretty busy & hectic lately.

In the mean time, here are some links that you might want to check out for more info on networking... ( I haven't personally checked them out, just googl'd em.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnetwork
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_network
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/basicnetworkingconcepts/

killux said:
I never really understood this. Why is always your default

IP always 192.168.1.100 you
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1

And can anyone give me a short and to the point definition of a subnet mask and gateway, and the what the heck even an ip? I would also appreciate any links to networking basics tutorials.

You're probably using a Linksys router, I assume.

I thought your computer only has 1 IP address at a time. How can you have a public and a private. Is the public IP just the IP of my router and then the router covers up all of the nodes on the LAN? Yes, Law I am behind a Linksys router.

The public IP is the IP address of your router's WAN interface, the default gateway IP address (192.168.1.1) is the IP address of the Ethernet interface on the router. Not the LAN ports that your computer connects to, you just don't see it since the switch is build into the router.

So when you use DHCP thats assigning your Public Address right?

When you Open up your control panel click network connections > right click on LAN then click properties > then highlight internet protocol and click the properties button.

This gets you to a screen where it asks you where to get your IP from. If you click obtain IP automatically is this using DHCP?

If you configure your own IP is this giving your Public IP or your Private IP. Or is it making your IP static? Very very confused.

Your ISP Gives you a IP address. If you do not have a router your defualt gateway would be the same as your Modems. WHich is your IP as assigned by your ISP.

your DHCP assigns an address dependent if you have a router or not. With a router the IP will be a private one.

If you want a private and static IP you will have to configure both your network card and Router.

At least this is what I know. Hope Its right. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom