Verizon DNS for Comcast Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobafett573

In Runtime
Verizon DNS for Comcast Internet?

ok, this morning a friend of mine told me this:

he has comcast cable internet service. it was running really really slow last night so he pinged sites like google and found that as soon as it was out of the comcast network, the ping went fast. he then went into the TCP/IP config and set the DNS servers to the ones he had with his Verizon DSL a year ago. he said that the internet then was blazing fast because no one was using the cable internet since it was "down".

so my question is this: is what he did possible? I'm not an expert but i do know a fair amount about networking and TCP/IP. I'm pretty sure DNS servers only assign your computer an IP address. so is he saying he was using a Verizon IP address? cable internet and DSL are two different types of connections to begin with. i don't think it's possible. it doesn't make any sense to me. can someone confirm that what he did isn't possible/wouldn't give him the results he said he got? if this is possible, how does that work? thx a ton for the help.

yes, it's totally possible. these wan DNS addresses are just that. they aren't domain specific as others can be. It's simply a server out on the internet that provides IP resolution. It basically holds a big table of address resolutions. So, if i really wanted to, i could change my own ip address config and give myself a DNS address over in europe and it will still work. the gateway is the key thing....not the DNS. As long as you have a valid gateway address (portal out to the internet) then you can use any valid DNS you want.
Try it.....give yourself a valid ip address/mask/gateway from what you get when you do a ipconfig /all
then use this DNS address 205.171.3.65 (DNS server that Qwest uses near Spokane, WA)
And yes......this can alter speeds depending on if it widely used or not by the isp you are using and by other isps.

last night comcast was having issues and the internet wasnt really workin properly but i think they got it workin good now. There server was down or some crap cuz mine wasnt workin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom