Utorrent issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
wait, you said you have a 384 kilobit connection. So, 50 kiloBYTES per second is the max download speed. Just like 56k (Dial up) Doesnt download at 56kb/s, but 5kb/s.

Advertised speed / 8 = Download speed. Yup, it's that bits and bytes thing.

It's odd though, Wide Open West (WOW) should only be allowing me about 384 KB down, but I often hit 500 and sometimes even 600 down using utorrent.

Meh, I can't complain...

When you forward the ports in your router, forward TCP ports 6881-6999 to your host running torrents.... Also, make sure it is an exception in Windows firewall, or any other firewall you have. I dis-abled windows firewall and forwarded those ports, as well as port 38000 (random port) for torrents, and my speeds went from 100k averages with 150k spikes, to 400k + averages... :D

Ok well from the beginning of time, when using utorrent I've ALWAYS got below 50kbs, and have accepted it to be the norm. However until recently my friend told me that he gets speeds that match as advertised..like he gets 200-256kb/s in downloading..

How can this be? Is there a specific setting? (I'm using the 386kb/s DSL line)

well its 3XX i can find out if youd like.

Is anyone in the same boat as I am, or am I the only one with messed up settings?
Since your line is 384 kpbs (bits), downloads could be upto 48 kBps (bytes) only, though it could be higher than that at times. There are also instances that a download rate of a specific torrent could go even beyond that, upto 100 kBps or so. This is possible if one or more of the peers had the same network as you (or you can say near you). The result would be like sharing the same file on the same LAN network. I've got a 1.5Mbps line, which could be up to 192 kBps max, but at times it could reach upto 350 kBps. In the end, it all depends on the health of the torrent (its seeds and its peers). The more seeds, with more peers, the faster the download. :)

You guys are missing the point of Port Forwarding , if the OP has succeeded in forwarding his ports then he can connect to Remote seeders and not only local seeders , which will up his speed by a lot !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom