Using your phone as a wifi access point for WEP ?

Foxes

Beta member
The story goes , I have recently got back into playing pokemon on my old 2006 nintendo ds ( Surprised it still works ). I wanted to trade and play online for the fun of it without compromising my network security and without changing it due to the hassle of going around changing every wifi device in the house.

I use a ASUS USB-N53 802.11a/b/g/n Network adapter , I want to know if it is possible to create a wifi access point from tethering your connection through your computer onto your phone , rather than from your phone to computer and then sharing it with a WEP key as an access point. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini.

My current internet connection is encypted with WPA2-PSK. ( On another note I thought this post would be more appropriate in this section rather than the Nintendo section as it applies to the network rather than specifying on the fact that its for the nintendo DS , but I'm new here so feel free to tell me off otherwise. )

If it helps I've a moderate knowledge of networking myself , but I wasn't too sure on it, Thankyou in advance !

-Foxes

If your computer is hooked up via ethernet and has a wireless card in it, then you can check out one of these and bypass the needing of a phone:
https://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/
Connectify - Turn your PC into a WiFi Hotspot

You can also try connecting to wifi via your S3 mini, and then turn on the built in hotspot (Settings -> More -> Mobile network sharing or Hotspot, something like that).

If you don't have the built-in hotspot, then you can try getting one from the Play Store (keep in mind that some of them require a rooted device...FoxFi and Barnacle are 2 off the top of my head that don't require root).

Alternatively, you could try setting up internet pass-through via USB on your S3 mini, and then try enabling the built-in hotspot to see if it would share that internet connection (never tried this before).

Back
Top Bottom