Using a Wireless Computer as a LAN Gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the information on the laptop wireless NIC (include it's IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, DNS). The laptop wired NIC is not suppose to be in the same network or have the same IP address of the wireless NIC, the only information it will have that is associated with wireless NIC is the default gateway that points to the wireless NIC IP address.

Let the WIRED NIC address be 192.168.0.1 but make sure it's default gateway points to the WIRELESS IP address. Then on the Desktop configured the NIC so that it is in the same network of the Laptop WIRED NIC by just giving it an IP address 192.168.0.2, same subnet mask 255.255.255.0, default gateway =192.168.0.1, DNS information =ISP DNS server IP Address (get this from doing ipconfig /all on the laptop)

Thanks alot for your help law, here's the current setup.

-Laptop-
Wireless NIC: -Auto Assigned
192.168.10.1 -Gateway/DNS

Wired NIC: -Manually Assigned
192.168.10.5 - Gateway
192.168.10.1 - DNS

-Desktop-
Wired NIC: -Manually Assigned
192.168.0.1 - Gateway
192.168.10.1 - DNS

Problems:
When I bridge the wireless and the wired NIC on the laptop it kills my wireless connection (windows say 'not connected.) I can manually assign the same ips for the wireless NIC and I'll get a connection, but no webpages will connect, or AIM, etc.

Without the bridge, but with ICS on the laptop wired NIC I still have no internet on the desktop. I can ping 192.168.0.1 (laptop wired nic) but no 192.168.10.x addresses (wireless nic, router.)

Any ideas?

Ok just make sure you disable the firewall (don't select "Protect my computer and network...." option in ICS. Also skip the bridge part. I don't think it will help.

You should have ICS enable on the Laptop Wired NIC, this time don't enter any default gateway or DNS, just let Window do whatever it did. To enable ICS you'll need to select the following "Allow other computers to connect through this Internet connection" and "Allow other network users to control or disable the share internet connection". You should restart the laptop.

Ok now on the Desktop, let it obtain an IP address and DNS automaticly.

See if this setup will work. Because ICS is usually used when there aren't any home router. I've never done this kind of setup, the one like yours, having a computer use ICS while it's connected to a router. It might be the same as doing it with the kind of setup you usually see Modem>computer>computer but yours is a bit harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom