Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tomb Raider

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG

Solid State Member
My friend just moved into a new area. He has a unsecure wireless signal coming from one of his neighbors that is unsecure and he can use it to get online. He doesn't want to use the access because he thinks he might get in trouble for doing so. I was wondering what others think.

From what I understand,

"Yes, it is a federal law and has been for quite some time. It is part of the Tellecommunications Act of 1996. (This act wasn't created in 1996 just a major revision). This type of theft began to be enforced by the federal government when theft of phone service was a big deal. Then in the 70's and 80's theft of cable service came arround, and again this theft was addressed in the act.

In addtion every state has similar laws regarding theft of service. The practice of procecuting this type of offence (theft of service via a wireless network) is new, but the fact remains stealing a signal that someone else pays for is a criminal act."

wtf voted yes?

it's ILLEGAL!

anyone who votes yes is not thinking. Kind of like asking a pot head if it's OK for you to smoke weed. what kind of answer do you expect?

I voted yes on it. Maybe people aren't getting the question. I'm talking about using a unsecured Wi-Fi that is no different from any other public hot spot. I'm not talking about hacking a secured network. The kind of network that you just boot up your laptop and go online.

BigG said:
I voted yes on it. Maybe people aren't getting the question. I'm talking about using a unsecured Wi-Fi that is no different from any other public hot spot. I'm not talking about hacking a secured network. The kind of network that you just boot up your laptop and go online.

Correction : You said it belonged to a neighbor. THAT's NOT PUBLIC! Booting up and having an unsecured network connection in your area doesn't mean it's free for you to use.

Right now i have 6 available wireless entwrok i COULD connect to in my neighborhood. From my desktop i can see all of them. Does that mean they are free for me to use? I'm not hacking, Windows jsut has them displayed as unsecured and in my area like any other connection.

To connect and use someone else's wireless connection without gaining the permission first of the original owner of that connnection is flat out ILLEGAL.

hey, if they don't lock down there stuff, its ok. Its a open access point if its not locked down. if somone does't know how to do it they should just read the manual

anti-net said:
hey, if they don't lock down there stuff, its ok. Its a open access point if its not locked down. if somone does't know how to do it they should just read the manual

Kindof like if someone leaves their keys in their car right? It's anyones to take?

:angry: :rolleyes: :angry:

4W4K3 said:
Correction : You said it belonged to a neighbor. THAT's NOT PUBLIC! Booting up and having an unsecured network connection in your area doesn't mean it's free for you to use.

Right now i have 6 available wireless entwrok i COULD connect to in my neighborhood. From my desktop i can see all of them. Does that mean they are free for me to use? I'm not hacking, Windows jsut has them displayed as unsecured and in my area like any other connection.

To connect and use someone else's wireless connection without gaining the permission first of the original owner of that connnection is flat out ILLEGAL.

Paragraph #1: Yes it's free for me to use.

Paragraph #2: Yes, you could and should connect to them.

Paragraph #3: It's only illegal if you get caught.

The better part is windows automaticly connecting to unsecured networks, just say you mistaken it as yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom