using Outlook Express at Wifi hotspot

Status
Not open for further replies.

great

Solid State Member
Hello forum. I would greatly appreciate it if someone here could help me use Outlook Express while I'm on the road at Wifi hotspots.

My ISP, said it could be done because I signed up for their Megamail service. Now it is receiving, but not sending the messages. I've tried messing around with the Secure Password Authentication settings, and tried about everything, still no results.

PHP:
MAIL IS BEING RECEIVED THROUGH OUTLOOK EXPRESS BUT IT WON'T SEND THE MESSAGES

If your Outlook Express is configured correctly to correspond with the proper servers for sending and receiving email, you should have no problem doing so regardless the internet connection.

Thank you Lasha. The thing is, it works fine if I dial-up through my ISP, but not through another Wi-fi provider. As far as I know it is all configured properly.

You should check with the wifi provider that they allow port 25 traffic.

I know some public wifi systems block port 25 to reduce SMTP traffic and prevent unauthorised use such as sending spam.

Mail is recieved on port 110 so this is enabled as you can recieve your email. This is where I'd start my investigation.

Cheers!

on a side note all passwords used to connect to pop amil servers are sent in plain text. Anyone running Ethereal or many other packet sniffers can easily grab your password. if you grabbed your mail via some sort of webmail option at least you would be hiding amonsgst many other packets not so easily seprated with a filter. It is pretty funny how many passwords are flying around plain text at my College.

yes I think I can remember them saying something about that, but the firewall should prevent others from seeing the password

no it won't. Your passworkd is sent out in plain text. Your firewall has nothing to do with it. Packet sniffers are passive, and just wait for the info to come to them. In a wifi situation it is just like a hub where all the machines are just broadcasting packets.

oh great. well I think blackx was right as well about them cutting off this kind of traffic anyway.. it's just as well it seems. I won't worry about it. thanks you all.

great said:
Now it is receiving, but not sending the messages.

Every ISP mailserver that I've ever connected to has been setup to do exactly this, unless you're connecting through their network. You may try calling your ISP up, and make sure it's not them.

Every ISP mailserver that I've ever connected to has been setup to do exactly this

Has been setup to do exactly what? Just receive messages on Wifi networks? I may contact the ISP though at 2.95 a minute and the Wifi people said I couldn't use Outlook Express. I think they just didn't want to deal with it.

Those packet sniffers only work on networks that operate off a "hub" and not a "switch", right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom