Using the net use command

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh

Desktop Engineer
Another question about the command. say you did a "net use \\tyi-rf14-19 C:" and you get a wrong password and username. anyway to get passed this? no im not trying to hack its on my own home network and im just making sure my bro can't get passed it, he's pretty comp savvy.

Well first of all, it'd be "net use <drive> <share>" and the drive <drive> can't be a drive letter that's already in use, which your C is.

Also, the <share> would have to be linked to a shared folder or administrative share on the target PC.

Lastly, if you know the administrator's password you could get past it that way, but without knowing a good username and password on the target PC you're basically out of luck unless you implement password cracking and such.

The syntax should be as follows:

net use g: \\YourPCName\C$

($=Hidden share. ALL Windows PC's have the root partition shared and hidden by default)

If that account that is being used does NOT have sufficient permissions, an authentication will be prompted. This is where you can enter a usernane/password.

Needless to say, if your brother doesn't have your admin account, he's stuck. BUT if he does.. then all he has to do is enter that info in and he's in.

Make sure the admin account has a strong password.. and possibly rename the "Administrator" account.

That combination will deflect 95% of any possible risk.

How do you access the C: from Dos??????? With the net use command. Also does the net use command work from a 2000box to an XP box???
I am only familiar with the \\computername\C$

Net use is functional with all NTFS/FAT capable OS's. XP, 2k, NT, 2k3 all support the Net use commands.

After you map the network resource (that is what Net Use does) you can type "X:" enter whatever you use as a drive letter and you will have the directory tree available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom