Using IP URLs

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
I am just wondering, in theory you can get to a web site by typing in the domain name or by using the server's ip. However, my router has an html config interface that i can get to by pointing my browser to it's internal ip. BUT how do I get to other web sites? Wouldn't it just look for the ip you typed on your local network?

PS- I really don't know a lot about this, so if you think you know what I'm asking, by all means answer based on what you think I'm asking

Correct, It will look similar to the ip address of your gateway/router.
First you have to find out what your website true ip address is:
Click start > run > type "cmd" (without quotes for windows 2000/XP) or "command" (w/o quotes for Windows 9x/ME) and hit enter
Then type "ping thewebsite.com" (exchange "thewebsite.com" with whatever website you are looking for. Your local DNS will then provide the IP address that the website resolves to.
Then open up internet explorer and just type in the IP address in the URL space.....should be it.

-Mike

Got it resolved yet?

Let me get this straight... You're wanting to access the internet through your router...

Here's how I normally do it with Windows or Linux...

I setup the internal IP (or use DHCP) and set my network adapter's (tcp/ip protocol) gateway to the address of my router and I also set the primary DNS to the address of my router...

for instance...

If my router's IP address is 192.168.55.3
I would set my machine up as 192.168.55.xxx (stay below 256)
and setup the Gateway and Primary DNS as 192.168.55.3

That'll do it... Sorry if I missed the point of your post.

Squirrelly1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom