using File Maker Pro remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffhucker

In Runtime
I have a friend who uses File Maker Pro. Her daughter also uses the program for the same business. They live far away from eachother.
She wants to be able to use it together.

The only thought I have would be that they need to load the program online on a server where they both could access it and work on the same files.

Networking is not an option, they cant leave there PC s on 24/7.

Any suggestions? Do they need to create a website for this of some sort?

Thanks

file maker pro allows you to make your information available on the web. However, it will not allow you to share the program files on the web.

you will either have to

setup remote administration to the machine with file maker installed. i suggest creating a vpn tunnel to keep any unwanted eyes from seeing your data.

or

buy a second copy and install it at the second location.

let me know if you wish to continue.

File Maker Pro

csamuels,
Yes I wish to continue!

The issue is not that they want to share the program, both the women have there own copies of File Maker on there own computers. They want to beable to work off-of the same program. As it is now they have to email documents back and forth. If the program were online one could access it and work on a file and then leave it there for the other to work on.

Does that make sense?

What exactly is a VPN tunnel? is that virtually connecting both of there machines/networking?

Thanks

file maker pro wants you to leave one machine on 24/7. it has hosting capabilites built in. FileMaker Pro 8 User's Guide - pg 82

however, you will still need access to each other's network. Also, you state that you can work on a file by email.

so what i suggest is

create a vpn server at one location. either one, doesn't matter. windows xp pro and windows server 2000 & 2003 support vpn servers setups. pick a os a we'll get you a tutorial.

on the other machine, install and configure a vpn client. once again, tell us the os and we'll find/create a tutorial. This will allow the client to communicate with the server.

a vpn creates a virtual network through the internet. we can setup data encryption if need be. By setting up the vpn, you're making the two machines act like they are located at the same location; thereby giving you access to each others resources.

the vpn server or any other 24/7 server on its network should host the file. Just like you do now, save the file to the server. Whenever the client needs access, they open a vpn connection by double click an icon and enter user//pass. Then, open the file in file maker pro just as if you downloaded the file out of an email, but you will point the app to the file on the server.

if you dont have any 24/7 servers, let me know and we can discuss your options

Filemakerpro

csamuels,

It sounds involved (kinof), I am working on tuning this friends PC and she asked me about the file maker pro her and her daughter use. I thought i'd post it. I know little about hostin/networking,vpn's etc. I'm a standalone guy!

So, I think u understand what she wants? should I be looking at a file host such as the ones you listed?
I will. And if you can point me towards any other resources i'd/info. I'd appreciate it.

I really appreciate your time.

Thanks

if you dont a have a machine that can run 24/7, you can use the file hosting websites i posted.

you will have to save the file, upload the file to the website, download the file, open the file, edit the file, and repeat. instead of sending through email, you're sending and then downloading from a website. Email maybe better in this situation cus you have an archive of previous data.

with the vpn solution, you're hosting the file on a file server (in house which you maintain) and accessing the server from a remote location. more complex setup, but you control the data instead of someone else.

FMP

csamuels,

So, a VPN would require one of the two machines hosting?
Thus being left on ?

Can you host the file online? so u could go online access the file, work on it there and leave it there? I suppose this would require the p[rogram being loaded online as well. You couldn't create a website on a server somewhere that would just have the program loaded on it?

If not I suppose using a file host sounds like the way to go. That way tthe two can work on the same file.

I am checjking out the file host's thanks.

FMP

csamuels,

So I am looking at pp88-89 of the user guide. This would be different than using a file host right?

So this would be using a web page on a server that is the actual FMP files but the program to change the documents on that server would be at the location of the person accessing those pages.?

She already has like 5 websites. could she use one of these? and of course it would be a private section only she and her daughter could access.?

If so, I'll tell her to talk to her webmaster. (who she doesnt even know!)

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom