Users and Bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

1ceHacka

Baseband Member
Just wondering if anyone knows an easy way to shut off a users connection to the outside world while they are on your network. I am running a SonicWall firewall and have bandwidth issues. I was looking for a throttling program to run with the firewall, but it seems easier to jsut shutdown these users. Maybe something like giving them fake static ip's????

i suppose you could set up a proxy server...so they have to put in a username and password to access the internet.

Not really my problem...these are internal users. Best way i can describe it is we are like a business with workers...and I am the network admin. Some of these workers are hogging the company bandwidth. I want to shut off their connections. Now the difference is that I cannot access their computers. So i need a way to shut off their connections using the firewall.

Depending on the type of firewall you are using, you can block specific IP addresses from specific ports... You can block port 80, which will keep certain users, or all of them (depending on how you set it up, and if the firewall supports it) from browsing the web.

Do you know what applications they are using that hog the bandwidth? If it is just casual web-surfing, block everyone's Port 80... they will then not be able to surf the web.

Does your firewall have any type of MAC address filtering? If you dont use static IPs to be able to block by IP address you can block by MAC address if its an option since that never changes.

Running a SonicWall 3060 PRO. Doesn't seem to have MAC filtering. And since I am runnnign DHCP...all they have to do is unplug and replug to get anothe IP, so using a static IP wouldn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom